[Nfb-editors] Arizona - October 2014 - News And Views

Robert Leslie Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Tue Oct 21 12:28:28 UTC 2014

National Federation of the Blind

News and Views

Issue #8

October, 2014

In This Issue

Greetings from Our President

Word on the street

Guess Who Just Took Another Trip Around the Sun

KNFB Reader iPhone App Now Available

The Blind and Visually Impaired Voters Guide

Save the date for V RATE

Drivers Refuse to Transport Blind People Who Use Guidedogs

13 Nifty New Features for iOS 8

The bookshelf - 2 selections

Being Blind in Israel

Healthy choice healthy living, Depression

My Tour of the American Printing House for the Blind

Phoenix Chapter Meet the Blind Month Activity

Asisstance Needed

The recipe box, Chicken Tetrazzini

Think tank

A round of applause

Debbie’s list

Stay connected

Grins and groans the usual endings

Navigation

To navigate quickly to the different articles in this newsletter using
JAWS, System Access, NVDA, or Window Eyes, press the letter H to move
through the headings.  For MAC users, press Control Option Command plus the
letter H.

Greetings from Our President

Hello, fellow Federationists,

Our 2014 state convention is now behind us, and I have been told this
convention may have been our best ever.  We had about 225 paid
registrations this year, and our turnout of students and first timers was
excellent!

Those who participated in the Thursday evening seminar learned our new
quote, one minute message, end quote which is a brief description of our
NFB mission. The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise
the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create obstacles
between blind people and our dreams. You can have the life you want;
blindness is not what holds you back.

I sincerely appreciate the work of all our volunteers who made our
convention a successful time of learning and fun!  I especially appreciate
Allison Hilliker, president of our host chapter, Mark Feliz who chaired the
convention arrangements committee, Sharonda Greenlaw who headed the efforts
of convention registration, Amy Murillo who brought in so many first timers
and students and SAAVI staff, and Donald Porterfield who ran the
legislative seminar and the resolutions committee.  When one begins to name
names, one always runs the risk of not appreciating other volunteers, but
none of the good stuff happens without all of your participation!

Save the date!  We will hold our October 15 White Cane Day rally at the
capitol again this year.  Our first vice president and chair of legislative
committee, Donald Porterfield will be sending out details quite soon, but
make arrangements to be at the state capitol between 10:00 a.m. and 2:00
p.m. for our white cane rally.  We are making special efforts to invite
members of the Governors Council on Blindness, members of the blindness
agencies and consumer groups, and especially all guide dog users to
participate with us.

Watch for details.

>From Eve Sanchez, chair of dog guide committee.

If you are interested in forming an Arizona dog guide division, and want to
help determine the purposes and efforts  of this division, then please
participate in the teleconference call on Thursday, October 9 at 7 p.m. by
calling the conference line, 605 475 6777 and pressing Pin number 6322
pound sign.

>From Marc Schmidt, president West Valley chapter.

The next chapter fundraiser will be to help conduct a yard sale at my house
on October 25th, as I hope to be selling it soon. On the prior evening,
people are encouraged to come over for dinner and help label items to sell.
I live at 3202 West Muriel Drive in Phoenix and can be reached at 602 758
0057.  If you would like to help out, or also have items to contribute,
please let me know.

>From Linda Montgomery of the Arizona Braille and Talking Book Library.

The library is obliged to ship the cassette talking book machines that are
returned by library patrons to a recycling center.  If you no longer use
the cassette talking book player you can return it by calling, 1 800 255
5578, and asking for the correct shipping box, and sending it back through
the free matter for the blind at no cost to you.  Of course, if you have
the original box, or wish to use your own box for mailing, you can do so,
using the address,

1030 North 32nd Street

Phoenix, Arizona 85008.

Please mark your calendar for November 7, 2014, for the Vision
Rehabilitation and Assistive Technology Expo (V RATE) at the Phoenix
Convention Center in the South Building located at 33 South 3rd Street from
9:00 am to 4:00 pm.  There will be about 20 speakers and 50 exhibitors
presenting information and products that will be of great interest to you.
This is a FREE event.

NFB again has a table this year for this free event.  If you are able to
volunteer two hours in the morning or afternoon, please let me know by
phone or email.

For the most current information, go to,

 www.vrate.org <http://www.vrate.org/> .

We will be holding our NFBA Affiliate quarterly board meeting by telephone
on Saturday, November 8.  Our members are always welcome to attend these
meetings in which we report activities and plan our efforts.  We meet from
9:30 a.m. to noon.  If you wish to participate, call our conference line
at, 605 475 6777

 And press Pin number 6322 pound sign.

Please encourage members of your chapter or division to learn our quote,
one minute message, end quote, and to repeat it at your regular meetings.
between blind people and our dreams. You can have the life you want;
blindness is not what holds you back.

I am attaching our NFBA roster file, and also our 2014 NFBA state
resolutions passed at our recent convention.

I hope to see you at the capitol October 15 for our White Cane Day rally!

Bob Kresmer,

1 888 899 6322

Word on the Street

A new baby!  Congratulations to Gretl and Scott, the proud parents of
Hobson Rex Krooksmer!  The new addition weighed in at 6 pounds 11 ounces
and was born on September 27th!  Grandparents, Lynn and Bob Kresmer, are
super excited!  Congratulations!

Got any news to share with us?  Send it in to:

news at az.nfb.org <mailto:news at az.nfb.org>

We look forward to sharing your news with our extended family here within
the NFB of Arizona.

Guess Who Just Took another Trip around the Sun?

Happy birthday to the following people!

October 3, Tina Sohl, from Mesa.

October 6, Alicia Scharlat, from Mesa.

October 6, Larry Martin, from Tucson.

October 9, Doris Martin, from Tucson.

October 11, Dick Sevenson, from Tucson.

October 15, Carrie Taylor, from Phoenix.

October 19, Tom Johnson, from Phoenix.

October 30, Justin Hughes, from Mesa.

Please help us build our birthday list, by sending your first and last
name, date of birth, (year optional), and the city you live in to:

news at az.nfb.org <mailto:news at az.nfb.org>

KNFB Reader iPhone App Now Available

By James Gashel

Recently, KNFB Reading Technology and Sensotec announced the release of
their image capture and read iPhone app called the KNFB Reader, now
available on Apples App Store on iTunes. The link to the app is,

 KNFB Reader in the Apple App Store
<https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/knfbreader/id849732663> .
Fast, accurate, and efficient, this app is the latest breakthrough
development in mobile reading technology designed for use with or without
sight.
Commenting on the release, Mark Riccobono, president of the National
Federation of the Blind said: quote, The KNFB Reader represents an historic
leap forward in text recognition and reading technology. Snap a picture and
hear the text instantly read aloud. Although it sounds unbelievable, it's
really that easy. The ability to read print wherever you are, even if you
cannot see it, is truly a dream come true thanks to Ray Kurzweil whose
groundbreaking work forty years ago and since has made this day possible.
End quote.
According to James Gashel, vice president of business development at, KNFB
Reading Technology, the new KNFB Reader app has been optimized for use on
the iPhone 5s but can also be used on the iPhone 5 and 5c as well. The
current version of the app is able to recognize and speak text in English
and eleven other languages with many more expected to be added. Quote, This
app has attracted excitement among those who need it worldwide, promising
to be life changing technology, end quote, Gashel said.
For more information about the KNFB Reader iPhone app send an email message
to,

support at knfbreader.com <mailto:support at knfbreader.com> ,

visit our website at,

www.KNFBReader.com <http://www.knfbreader.com/>

The Blind and Visually Impaired Voters Guide

By Lou Ann Blake

Now that the voting season is coming up soon, we thought we would post some
helpful information so that you can be informed and participate in the
voting process.

The Help America Vote Act, HAVA

The Help America Vote Act (HAVA) was signed into law on October 29, 2002,
to address the problems that occurred during the 2000 presidential
election.  One of the goals of HAVA is to provide all American voters,
including those who are blind or visually impaired, with the opportunity to
vote both privately and independently.  Therefore, HAVA requires that by
January 1, 2006, all voting jurisdictions must provide at least one
accessible voting machine per polling place and that any voting machines
purchased with federal funds provided under HAVA on or after January 1,
2007, must be accessible.

Why Blind Americans Should Vote

Quote, Should things go wrong at any time, the people will set them to
rights by the peaceable exercise of their elective rights. End quote,
Thomas Jefferson.

The right of blind Americans to vote is guaranteed by the United States
Constitution.  It is a right that many American citizens have demonstrated
for, fought for, and died for so that present and future generations can
continue to exercise their right to vote.  Therefore, every blind or
visually impaired citizen who is of voting age has a responsibility to
exercise the right to vote.

Voting in any election, local or national, provides blind and visually
impaired citizens with the opportunity to voice their opinion about elected
leaders and policies and to help shape the future by electing candidates
who share their views.  Elected officials make decisions and pass
legislation that establish the maximum income a blind person can earn while
still receiving social security disability benefits, the minimum wage rate
paid to blind workers in sheltered workshops, and the health benefits blind
citizens receive under Medicare and Medicaid.  Consequently, voting for
candidates who share their views on these issues is one of the most
effective ways that blind and visually impaired citizens can influence
policy and legislation addressing these issues.

When a citizen does not vote, they are giving away their right to influence
our government and, as a result, government by the will of the majority is
replaced with government by the will of the minority.  During the
presidential elections of 2000 and 2004, a bare majority of 51 percent and
55 percent, respectively, of voting age Americans cast ballots.  However,
during the midterm elections of 2002 and 2006, only 37 percent and 41
percent, respectively, of the voting age population voted.  It is vital
that blind and visually impaired Americans of voting age exercise their
right to vote so that government by the will of the majority is assured.

A survey conducted by the National Federation of the Blind Jernigan
Institute following the November 4, 2008 presidential election indicates
that blind Americans are exercising their right to vote.  Ninety four
percent of the 566 blind and visually impaired Americans of voting age who
were surveyed were registered to vote and ninety six percent of these
registered voters actually voted in the November 2008 election.

Register to Vote

In order to exercise the right to vote, a blind or visually impaired
citizen must first register with their state or district board of
elections.  To register, an individual must be a United States citizen, a
resident of the state or district in which they are registering, and at
least eighteen years old.  Many states have additional requirements that
must also be met.  Registration forms can be obtained from your state,
district or local board of elections; libraries; government offices; as
well as on the Internet.  Registering only takes a few minutes, so be sure
to exercise your right and responsibility as a citizen by registering to
vote and voting!

Resources

Your state, district, or local board of elections has voter registration
forms and information about polling place locations and times,
identification requirements, voting procedures, and voting machines.  A
nonpartisan organization, such as the League of Women Voters, can provide
factual information about candidates, as well as tips on how to be
politically effective.  If a properly functioning accessible voting machine
is not available at your polling place for a federal election, file a
complaint with your state board of elections.

Make Your Voice Heard

The United States Constitution guarantees the right of all blind and
visually impaired citizens to vote and the exercise of this right is vital
to the function of our democratic form of government.  With the passage of
HAVA, it is now possible for blind and visually impaired citizens to
exercise their right to vote both privately and independently.  Making your
voice heard through voting is imperative because state and federal elected
officials implement policies and pass legislation that directly affect our
lives as blind or visually impaired people.  Make your voice heard -
register to vote and exercise your right and responsibility to vote!

Save the Date for V RATE

By Barbara McDonald

V RATE will be held on November 7, 2014 at the Phoenix Convention Center
South Complex, 33 South Third Street, in Phoenix. The doors open at 9:00
a.m. and exhibitors and presentations will continue until 4:00 p.m.
Admission is free.

VRATE is the premiere expo in the southwest that focuses on the specific
needs of people who are blind, visually impaired or who have combined
vision and hearing loss. This is your opportunity to connect with the
specialized services, assistive devices and adaptive technology that will
make a positive difference in your life. Technology venders, service
providers, consumer organizations and advisory groups will be there for you.

There will be concurrent presentations throughout the day on a wide array
of subjects.  There will be sessions presented by eye doctors on eye care
and eye research.  Technology experts and knowledgeable end users will
demonstrate what and how on the latest assistive devices like smart phones,
tablets and readers. Whether you are looking for employment related
resources, tools and techniques for living more independently, recreational
activities or networking opportunities, you will find what you need at V
RATE.

While admission is FREE, you will preregister at,

 www.eventbright.com <http://www.eventbright.com/>

This will provide you event access and when you attend you will be entered
in a $100 prize drawing.  For up to date information, go to,

 www.vrate.org <http://www.vrate.org/> .

Drivers Refuse Blind People Who Use Guidedogs

Reprinted from Bloomberg

September 10, 2014

Uber Technologies Inc. drivers have refused to transport blind people who
use guide dogs, an advocacy group claimed in a civil rights lawsuit that
cites one instance of a dog being forced into the trunk.

Blind riders with service animals are refused service, charged cancellation
fees and harassed, the National Federation of the Blind of California
alleged in a complaint filed yesterday in San Francisco federal court.

One driver in Sacramento put a passengers guide dog in the trunk while
transporting her, and refused to pull over after the customer realized
where the animal was, according to the complaint, which named the company
as a defendant.

Drivers typically refuse blind passengers at pickup when they see service
animals, the group claimed. More than 30 blind customers nationwide have
been refused rides in violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act and
California civil rights laws, according to the suit.

Quote, The Uber app is built to expand access to transportation options for
all, including users with visual impairments and other disabilities, end
quote, Eva Behrend, a spokeswoman for San Francisco based Uber, said by
email. Quote, It is Ubers policy that any driver partner that refuses to
transport a service animal, will be deactivated from the Uber platform. End
quote.

13 Nifty New Features for iOS 8

iOS 8 is a teeming mass of code, a carefully crafted cornucopia of new
features. Some, Apple has marketed to the skies. Others are quiet touch ups
that

you will just stumble upon.

Here, on one handy page, you can delve into 13 buried treasures on Apples
latest update to its mobile operating system.

1. Send the most recent photo

When you are texting someone, and you want to send a photo, which photo are
you most likely to want to send?

Why, the last one you took, of course. Or at least one of the last few. iOS
8 realizes that and saves you the hassle of burrowing through all your
photos

and albums to find it.

Where to find it: When you’re in Messages, tap the Camera icon. BOOM: The
last few photos you have taken or imported are right there in front of you.
Scroll

to the left to see more of them, going back in time. Tap the one you want,
and then tap Send 1 Photo. (Actually, you can tap more than one, if you
want.)

2. Last known location

Your battery dies. You cannot find your phone. Now what? You can’t use
Find My iPhone if your phone is lying dead under a couch at a neighbor’s
house, because

that feature used to work only when your phone could respond.

Thanks to this update, you now have a prayer of finding your phone again.
Before it dies, your phone will send Apple its location. You have 24 hours

log in to  <http://icloud.com/> iCloud.com and use the Find My iPhone
feature to see where it was at the time of death. (After that, Apple
deletes the location information.)

Where to find it: Open Settings → iCloud → Find My iPhone. Turn on both
Find My iPhone and Send Last Location.

3. Hands free Siri

Apple is keeping up with the Joneses - or, rather, the Motos. Now you can
command Siri without having to hold down the home button. Just say quote,
Hey, Siri end quote to get her attention, and then speak your command.

The feature works only when your phone is plugged in to power or using a
battery pack.

Where to find it: Open Settings → General → Siri. Turn on Hey Siri.

4. Scan my credit card

The iCloud Keychain feature can already store your credit card information,
address info, and other details, so you do not have to painstakingly type it

into every website where you buy something. But now it is super easy to
store your credit card information in the first place.

Where to find it: At the moment you’re asked for your credit card number
(on a website), the Safari browser’s keyboard sprouts a new button that
says Scan

Credit Card. Aim your phone/tablets camera at your credit card and take a
picture; Safari analyzes the photo and converts the numbers to text. (As
always,

you still have to manually enter the four digit security code every time
you buy something, an extra layer of security.)

5. Hide my photos

Not all of your photos, ahem, are meant for public consumption. So in iOS
8, for the first time, you can hide photos and videos within the Photos app.

Where to find it: Hold your finger down on a photo. In the shortcut menu,
tap Hide. Confirm by tapping Hide Photo. (Your hidden stuff is, for some
reason,

still visible in its original album, in Albums view. It’s hidden only from
the Moments, Collections, and Years groupings.)

6. Sleuth out the battery gluttons

Now you can see which apps are responsible for sucking down your battery
power. That’s an incredible help if you’re frustrated by short battery
life.

Where to find it: Open Settings → General → Usage → Battery Usage. Wait
patiently.

(Note, in this shot, the Low Signal notation indicates that your phone blew
through a lot of power trying to reach the Internet to get your mail or a
cellular

signal when there wasn’t much signal.)

7. Load the full website (instead of the mobile version)

In an effort to conserve time and bandwidth (yours and theirs), many
websites are available in special mobile versions, smaller, stripped down
sites that

transfer faster than (but lack some features of) the full blown sites. You
generally have no control over which version you’re sent.

Until now, that is. In iOS 8, you can request the full blown site if the
mobile one is not quite cutting it for you.

Where to find it: Suppose you’re in the Safari browser and some site has
dished up its mobile version, and you are gnashing your teeth.

Tap in the address box, and then swipe downward on the screen. A button
called Request Desktop Site appears; tap it.

8. Quick access to your VIPs

Next time you want to reach someone, call, text, FaceTime, do not fumble
for the Contacts or Phone apps. Use the new feature that presents the
headshots

of the people you’ve communicated with most recently; and, to their right,
the icons for people you’ve listed on your Favorites screen.

Where to find it: You can use this trick anywhere, from within any app.
Double-press the home button, as though you want to open the app switcher.
There,

at the top of the screen, are the new headshots. Tap one to make it expand
into icons for the various comm channels: Phone, Message, FaceTime Audio,
and

so on.

9. Delete email faster

In your list of messages, one gesture, not two, can delete a message.

Where to find it: Swipe leftward. Halfway across the screen, you will see
the More, Flag, and Trash buttons. You can tap one of those, if you’re so
inclined.

But if you swipe ‘’fully’’ across the screen, you trash the message, no
muss, no fuss.

Bonus tip: If you drag a message you’ve already read to the right, you get
a Mark As Unread button. Wild.

10. Take Mail’s hint

If Mail spots a name, number, flight, or date in the body of an email
message (for example, the block of contact info in somebody’s signature),
it thoughtfully

offers to record that detail into the appropriate app. For example, it can
stash a new correspondent’s contact info into your Contacts with one tap,
or

add an appointment to your Calendar.

Where to find it: It is automatic. Open any message where somebody has
included contact, appointment, or flight information. Tap Add to Contacts
or Add

to Calendar.

11. Much, much better dictation

The phones ability to turn your spoken dictation into typed text has always
been a source of frustration (and not just on the iPhone). Well, this time

around, Apple has done something about it.

When you dictate, you will notice, first of all, that the words appear as
you say them (like on Android). No more staring at a blank screen,
wondering if

and when you are going to get a transcription.

(But doesnt Siri need the context of the entire sentence before it knows
what words you have said? Yes. That is why, often, you will see words
change before your eyes, after they have already been heard. That is Siri
reconsidering what you meant, based on the full passage.)

You will notice much better transcriptions overall, especially if you have
an accent.

Where to find it: Anywhere you can type. Tap the microphone icon at the
bottom of the onscreen keyboard.

12. The predictive words row

>From the BlackBerry and other phones, iOS 8 adopts a new way to speed up
typing. There’s a row of three candidate words above the keyboard. They
change

as you type, and they get smarter and smarter the more you use it. In fact,
the phone learns different predictive vocabulary in email and texting, since

you probably use a different style in each of those contexts.

When you first start typing, these suggestions include I, The, and I am,
the three most common words to begin messages.

Suppose, for example, that you want to type: quote, I am sorry, but I
cannot find it anywhere. End quote. Here is a blow by blow look at how the
suggestions change as you

type. (Left column: What you do. Right column: How the three predictive
words have changed.) You use a combination of typing letters and tapping
full words

to save time:

Total taps: 14. If you had typed it on the old keyboard, it would have been
32 taps.

(Notice how iOS 8 adds or removes spaces correctly, even when you put in a
comma.)

13. Learn your own darned tips

There is a new app called Tips. Open it to read a set of tips, which Apple
will periodically update, that let you know about great little iOS 8
features

like the ones described here.

The Bookshelf, 2 Selections

 Do you love to curl up with a good book?  Been meaning to read that best
seller?  Here are two book selections that you may wish to read!  If you
have a book that you absolutely loved and want to share your thoughts about
it with us, please send in your write up to:

news at az.nfb.org <mailto:news at az.nfb.org>

Happy reading!

Book #1, When You Look Like Your Passport Photo, It is Time to go Home

DB 33935

Written by Erma Bombeck

Read by Janis Gray

Reading time 6 hours 0 minutes
Genre: Biography, Bestsellers.

As a seasoned travller, Bombeck offers advice on such topics as packing,
jet lag, group tours, tipping, languages, and photos.  She recounts the
families raft trip down the Colorado River, the problems of driving a
rental car, and the injustice of a system that allows 15 minutes to view
the Book of Kells and 90 minutes to tour a sweater factory.  Bestseller.

Book #2, The Book of Senior Jokes, the Ones You Can Remember

DB 78472

Written by Geoff Tibballs

Reading Time is 2 hours 49 minutes

Read by Jack Fox

Genre:  Humor.

Jokes poking fun at health issues, memory loss, retirement, and other
aspects of growing old.  2009

Being Blind in Israel

By Tali Sarnetzky

When I tell people I am from Israel, they ask me many questions.

Sometimes, they are convinced I live in a tent and ride a camel. But all of
them want to know what it is like being blind in Israel. So here are some
facts about the life of the blind in the Holy Land.

There are about 50000 blind and visually impaired people in Israel. Most of
them are elderly folk, with a small percentage of people between the ages
of 18 and 65.  We have one store that offers special gadgets, located in
Tel Aviv. The selection is similar to America: Electronic devices, such as
Milestone and Victor Stream, some gadgets for the kitchen, games marked for
the blind, CCTVs, canes, Braille machines and paper, talking watches, etc.
Unlike in the States, the store does not include general items that could
be helpful to blind people or be easier to work with, like some of the
kitchen gadgets one can find in the online stores for the blind. The nice
thing is that we can order things by phone and they arrive by mail.

The library for the blind in Israel has two branches and offers many of its
books on CD in MP3 format. This is very convenient. But the even cooler
feature is the catalog, which is available on the phone! You can call in,
use the numbers corresponding to the Hebrew letters to search for a title
or an author, as well as browse through the new titles which have been
recorded recently. There are also books in Braille and on tape, still
available for any interested reader.

The agency which organized rehab and O&M lessons was closed and reopened
with new management about two years ago. Now we have rehab teachers, who
teach everything from mobility through kitchen work and from Braille to
using smart phones and computers.  There are some vocational projects here,
which help blind people find work. Unfortunately, it is not an easy task,
much like anywhere else in the world.

The sighted population in Israel can experience the world of the blind and
VI by visiting one of two attractions. The first is called Dialog in The
Dark, which is an exhibit of different rooms mimicking different
environments, in complete darkness and guided by blind people. The second
is a restaurant in the dark, where food is served by blind waiters and the
visitors rely on their other senses to enjoy it.

Public transportation is quite good in Israel, including regular buses and
trains. When you use the train, you can call ahead and schedule assistance,
meaning help getting through the station and onto the right train and off
the train and out the station at your destination. Sometimes we are forced
to rely on taxis, because there are some places that cannot be accessed by
public transportation.

We have an excellent guide dog school in Israel, located near the center of
the country. It mostly works with Labradors and Golden Retrievers. The
place itself is heavenly: Quiet, with many trees and walking paths marked
for the blind, an enclosed running area for the dogs, and dorms that look
more like a hotel! The thing I love most is the response of the school to
incidents that occur from time to time, when someone with a guide dog is
not allowed into a public place. The school invites the entire staff of the
place in question to the school and teaches them about the importance of
guide dogs. It definitely does the job!

Several years ago, a new tradition took hold: Every June 6, Israel
celebrates Blind Day, a day of activities which are designed to raise
awareness about blindness and visual impairment. These days are total
success, being marked in schools, malls, train stations, etc. The response
has been very positive!

All in all, being blind in Israel is getting better. There is still room
for improvement, as usual, but things are looking up.

Healthy Choice, Healthy Living, Depression

By Lawrence MacLellan

Hello everybody, this month I would like to chat about
depression.Depression is very common and often we may know someone who is
depressed but even worse, we know someone but do not know that they are
depressed.

These people can live with their depression in silence. They do not ask for
help and suffer in their own quiet way. If you know someone with depression
or you struggle with depression yourself then here is some information that
may be helpful.

Here are 10 ways that may help

1. Get in a routine. If you are depressed, you need a routine, says Ian
Cook, MD. He is a psychiatrist and director of the Depression Research and
Clinic Program at UCLA. Depression can strip away the structure from your
life. One day melts into the next. Setting a gentle daily schedule can help
you get back on track.

2. Set goals. When you are depressed, you may feel like you cannot
accomplish anything. That makes you feel worse about yourself. To push
back, set daily goals for yourself. Start very small, Cook says. Quote,
Make your goal something that you can succeed at, like doing the dishes
every other day. End quote. As you start to feel better, you can add more
challenging daily goals.

3. Exercise. It temporarily boosts feel good chemicals called endorphins.
It may also have long term benefits for people with depression. Regular
exercise seems to encourage the brain to rewire itself in positive ways,
Cook says. How much exercise do you need? You do not need to run marathons
to get a benefit. Just walking a few times a week can help.

4. Eat healthy. There is no magic diet that fixes depression. It is a good
idea to watch what you eat, though. If depression tends to make you
overeat, getting in control of your eating will help you feel better.
Although nothing is definitive, Cook says there is evidence that foods with
omega 3 fatty acids (such as salmon and tuna) and folic acid (such as
spinach and avocado) could help ease depression.

5. Get enough sleep. Depression can make it hard to get enough shut eye,
and too little sleep can make depression worse. What can you do? Start by
making some changes to your lifestyle. Go to bed and get up at the same
time every day. Try not to nap. Take all the distractions out of your
bedroom, no computer and no TV. In time, you may find your sleep improves.

6. Take on responsibilities. When you are depressed, you may want to pull
back from life and give up your responsibilities at home and at work, dont.
Staying involved and having daily responsibilities can work as a natural
depression treatment. They ground you and give you a sense of
accomplishment. If you are not up to fulltime school or work, that is fine.
Think about parttime. If that seems like too much, consider volunteer work.

7. Challenge negative thoughts. In your fight against depression, a lot of
the work is mental, changing how you think. When you are depressed, you
leap to the worst possible conclusions The next time you are feeling
terrible about yourself, use logic as a natural depression treatment. You
might feel like no one likes you, but is there real evidence for that? You
might feel like the most worthless person on the planet, but is that really
likely? It takes practice, but in time you can beat back those negative
thoughts before they get out of control.

8. Check with your doctor before using supplements. Quote, There is
promising evidence for certain supplements for depression, end quote, Cook
says. Those include fish oil, folic acid, and SAMe. But more research needs
to be done before we will know for sure. Always check with your doctor
before starting any supplement, especially if you are already taking
medications.

9. Do something new. When you’re depressed, you are in a rut. Push
yourself to do something different. Go to a museum. Pick up a used book and
read it on a park bench. Volunteer at a soup kitchen. Take a language
class. When we challenge ourselves to do something different, there are
chemical changes in the brain, Cook says. Trying something new alters the
levels of [the brain chemical] dopamine, which is associated with pleasure,
enjoyment, and learning.

10. Try to have fun. If you are depressed, make time for things you enjoy.
What if nothing seems fun anymore? Quote, That is just a symptom of
depression, end quote, Cook says. You have to keep trying anyway. As
strange as it might sound, you have to work at having fun. Plan things you
used to enjoy, even if they feel like a chore. Keep going to the movies.
Keep going out with friends for dinner. When you are depressed, you can
lose the knack for enjoying life, Cook says. You have to relearn how to do
it. In time, fun things really will feel fun again.

So there you have it folks. Put a silly grin on your face, tell a really
bad joke, do something down right goofy, but do something.
If you do not make any change, then often , no change will happen.
One healthy change at a time, and I hope at least one person is grinning.

My Tour of the American Printing House for the Blind

By Ed Collins

This summer, I experienced a day that I will never forget.

While in Louisville, Kentucky visiting my granddaughter, my daughter and I
planned a day to tour the American Printing House for the Blind.

Founded in 1858, the APH is the world’s largest company devoted solely to
researching, developing, and manufacturing products for people who are
blind and visually impaired. There are almost three hundred employees who
work there.

The APH offers self guided tours of the museum which houses the history of
the visually impaired. There were numerous exhibits that have been involved
in the improvement for the visually impaired to learn to live productively
in the sited world. This part was neat as most exhibits were available for
me to see with my hands.

The APH also offers a tour of the publishing department where audiobook
recordings, printing materials, and many offices and rooms show dedicated
workers actually on the job. This was such a neat experience because it
gave us a chance to understand how many actual processes it takes to
publish or record just one piece of printed material. It is quite a long
and labored process.

On the tour of the publishing department audio section recordings are made,
using readers like Ray Pouche, for example. They read two hours a day on
one side of a glass facing an editor. The editor is listening and watching
the text, so that even if a reader swallows, he or she must reread that
section. Some of the readers are radio broadcasters as well. It takes
twenty four days to completely finish recording an average twelve hour book.

We were pleasantly surprised to have the opportunity to meet Mr. Jack Fox,
one of the most popular readers. While visiting with him, we discovered
that another famous reader, who most think is his spouse, is actually his
daughter, Jill Fox. Mr. Fox was friendly and thanked us for taking the time
to stop by and show our appreciation of his talent. Before leaving, he
shared that his granddaughter is currently in voice training and will
hopefully carry on the family tradition.

Mr. Fox was in the middle of recording when we stopped by, but he nor his
editor, were bothered by our intrusion of their work. He and I had our
picture made together and shook hands. This is a day I will never forget.

Phoenix Chapter Meet the Blind Month Activity

By River Forest

The Phoenix Chapter of the NFB of Arizona will be having a Meet the Blind
Month, event on October 19th at The Nash, located at 110 East Roosevelt
Street, #110, Phoenix, 85004. We plan to meet at the main entrance at 5:45
PM. The cost is $5. The  event features jazz musicians and singers, and
starts at 6:00 PM, and goes till 9:00 PM. They sell food items, but you can
bring your own as well.  Please come on out and join us!

Asisstance Needed

Hello All, my name is John Hansen Jr., and I am looking for an affordable
place to live, preferably in the mountain region of Arizona or the Colorado
plateau, not in the desert. EG Flagstaff, Williams etc. Anyone that is
renting at this time or has information on rental properties, please
contact me at,

 bridgewayhouse at Hotmail.com <mailto:bridgewayhouse at Hotmail.com>
Thank you for your help!

The Recipe Box, Chicken Tetrazzini

By Debi Chatfield

Ingredients:

1 12 ounce package, Reames Homestyle frozen egg noodles, (I use 1 ½
packages

2 cans, cream of mushroom soup

1 cup, milk

½ cup, water

2 cups, sharp shredded cheese, (1 8 ounce bag)

1 ½ cups, chicken cooked.  (I used 3 to 4 cups)

1 ½ cups, mixed frozen peas and carrots, thawed.  (I used 3 cups)

2 Tablespoons, Pimento.  (I used 3 Tablespoons)

¼ cup, seasoned bread crumbs

2 Tablespoons, Parmesian chese

2 Tablespoons, fresh snipped parsley.  (I did not use any)

Cook noodles for 20 minutes.  Drain.  Combine soup, milk, water and cheese,
in a ¾ saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until cheese melts and is
hot.  Stir in turkey, noodles, peas, and carrots, and pimentos.  Spoon into
a greased 11 inch by 8 inch baking pan.  Combine crumbs, parmesian, and
parsley and sprinkle over top.  Bake uncovered at 375 degrees for 30
minutes.  If you make ahead of time, it will take longer to cook in the
middle.

Think Tank

By Debi Chatfield

Thank you to everyone who submitted answers to Septembers brain teasers.
Many of you were very close, but close only counts in horseshoes!
Congratulations to Donald Porterfield for ansering both brainteasers
correctly!

A job well done to Allison Hilliker for ansering one brainteaser correctly!

In case you missed them, here are the September brain teasers and their
answers:

1.  Toms mom had three children.  The first was named May.  The second was
named June.  What was the third childs name?

Answer:  Tom

2.  I can sizzle like bacon.

I am made with an egg.

I have plenty of backbone,

but lack a good leg.

I peel layers like onions,

but still remain whole.

I can be long like a flagpole,

yet fit in a hole.

What am I?

Answer:  Snake

Now, here are the super duper brain teasers for October.

1. I have a foot on either side of me and one in the middle. What am I?

2. Brothers and sisters I have none. But this mans father is my fathers
son. Who is the man?

Please submit the answers to these brain teasers to:

news at az.nfb.org <mailto:news at az.nfb.org>

We will let you know if you are correct, and if so, we will publish your
name in the November newsletter. Have fun trying to solve these puzzles!

A Round of Applause

Thanks go out to you, our extended family here in the National Federation
of the Blind! You participate and spend time attending monthly meetings,
raise necessary funds to support our valuable programs, reach out to others
needing the information and resources we offer, and get to know and give
support to one another, so that we may continue to learn and grow. Our goal
is to be independent, productive members of society, and through your
efforts and working together, we are truly changing what it means to be
blind! So, a big thank you to you all, and keep up the good work!

Debi’s List

No, this is not Craig’s List, but it is the next best thing!  If you have
something to sell, or announce, send us your ad, and we will post it, as
long as there is space available in the newsletter.  Send your ads to:

news at az.nfb.org <mailto:news at az.nfb.org>

1.  Are you having trouble with your computer?  Did you just purchase that
must
have app, but have a question?  Perhaps, you have some tips to share?  If
so, please join the BlindTech e-mail list.
To join, send a message with subscribe in the subject line to:
blindtech-request at freelists.org <mailto:blindtech-request at freelists.org>
alternatively, you may visit:
http://www.freelists.org/list/blindtech

2.  Join a Free Voice Chat Site Community on the Web!

Would you like to meet other blind or visually impaired individuals from
across the country and around the world? Do you like challenging
interactive games, old time radio, learning about adapted cooking
techniques, a monthly book club, product presentations, chess instruction,
computer tech help, a blindness support group, a weekly talent show, iPhone
discussions, and much more?     Join our free chat community at:

 www.Out-Of-Sight.net <http://www.out-of-sight.net/> .

3.  Free Bible:

Would you like a free 6 volume Bible?  Contact:

Sheila Yamanaka

Communications/Outreach Coordinator

Pastoral Assistant

syamanaka at npctucson.org <mailto:syamanaka at npctucson.org>

Office: (520) 327-7121

Stay Connected

Sending this newsletter to friends?  Tell them they can receive this
monthly newsletter by subscribing to:

Nfbaz-news-subscribe at az.nfb.org <mailto:Nfbaz-news-subscribe at az.nfb.org>

If you have any changes in your contact info for the state roster,
chapters, or divisions, please write to:

news at az.nfb.org <mailto:news at az.nfb.org>

and we will send your info to the appropriate people and make the necessary
corrections.

Contact our President, Bob Kresmer at:

888 899 6322, or write to:

 <mailto:krezguy at cox.net> krezguy at cox.net

If you would like to submit an announcement or article for publication in
this monthly newsletter, please send your submission to:

 <mailto:news at az.nfb.org> news at az.nfb.org

Grins and Groans - The Usual Endings

Submitted by Bob Kresmer

Did you know that milk is the fastest liquid ever?

It is pasteurized before you ever see it.

How does the barber get to work early?

He takes short cuts.

Debi Chatfield

Editor