[Nfb-editors] Arizona - News & Views

Robert Leslie Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Fri Jul 3 20:26:06 UTC 2015

Bob Kresmer, president NFBA
Toll free (888) 899-6322
When you purchase from Amazon, you can generate a contribution for the
National Federation of the Blind of Arizona!  Simply go to the website
smile.amazon.com, select the National Federation of the Blind of Arizona as
your selected charitable organization, and then each time you purchase from
smile.amazon.com a donation of one half of one percent of your eligible
purchase will go to the NFB of Arizona.  Your purchases from
smile.amazon.com are just the same as from the original amazon.com site, and
cost you nothing! Please let your family and friends know of this easy way
to make a donation.

  _____

National Federation of the Blind of Arizona

News and Views

July, 2015

In This Issue

Greetings from Our President

Word on the Street

Guess Who Just Took Another Trip Around the Sun

Freedom Scientific Gives Huge Discounts at Convention

BARD Mobile for Android Devices

Amazon Smile

New health and Wellness Opportunities in Phoenix

Save the Date for VRATE

Mohave County Attacks the Business Enterprise Program

Putting Blindness in its Proper Place

Are You Safe at Home, Part 2

Donate to Our Upcoming Fall Auction

Agenda for Writers Division Meeting at Convention

The Bookshelf, 2 Selections

Healthy Choice, Healthy Living, Stair Climbing

East Valley Chapter News

West Valley Chapter News

The Recipe Box, Mexican Chicken Casserole

A Round of Applause

Debbies List

Stay Connected

Grins and Groans, the Usual Endings

Navigation

To navigate quickly to the different articles in this newsletter using JAWS,
System Access, NVDA, or Window Eyes, press the letter H to move through the
headings.

Greetings from Our President

Hello, fellow Federationists,

We will have quite a sizeable group participating in our NFB national
convention this year.  I expect we will have about a hundred Arizonans at
Orlando.  I expect we will also have great participation also at our NFBA
state convention in Phoenix September 11 through 13.  We will begin with a
Seminar Thursday evening, September 10 and wrap up with election of
affiliate officers and board members Sunday the 13.

Our convention hotel is standing by to take your reservations.  Here is the
information:

Crown Plaza North Hotel

2532 West Peoria Avenue, Phoenix

Reservations Number,  888 797 9878. Ask for the National Federation of the
Blind Annual Conference. group rate, $89.00 per night.

Reservations Website:

 <https://resweb.passkey.com/go/FB92015>
https://resweb.passkey.com/go/FB92015

Reservations Cutoff Date:  August 27, 2015

The hotel room rate also includes breakfasts.  Our affiliate is reserving
limited hotel room space for a small number of members who need assistance
to participate.  If you feel you need some assistance contact affiliate
president Bob Kresmer.  I will shortly send out preregistration forms by
email and hard copies to chapter and division presidents.

Here again is one of our basic documents written to help us build our
movement.  As we continue to renew our efforts, I thought this is worth
reading again.

reaching out to others

            Most of us are active in the Federation today because NFB
members reached out to us, befriended us, answered our questions, and said
just that right thing that made us want to be a part of the organization.
And, though we want in turn to reach out to other blind people, sometimes we
find it difficult to know just what to say to someone who has reservations
about the organization or even about blindness itself.  Below are some ideas
for responding to the common reactions we encounter as we extend our hands
to other blind people.

1. What does the NFB do?

*Our goal is to achieve full integration of blind people into all aspects of
society.  We work to make this happen through public education, legislation,
programs for children, mentorship, scholarships for students, senior
outreach, professional groups, and much more.

*We are the civil rights movement of blind people.

*We are a nationwide group of blind people who come together to provide
support, encouragement, and practical advice for one another.

2. I am not a joiner.

*I know what you mean; I have never considered myself a joiner either.  But
the NFB helped me personally, and that is what brought me into the
organization.

*Our organization has room for all levels of involvement.  You can even just
join a listserv or come to an occasional meeting if that is all you can do.

*By virtue of being blind, you are already part of a group.  As group
members we want to work together to see that all blind people have the
chance to live their lives with dignity.

3. I do not get involved in politics.

*You can do many things in the organization, and you do not have to
participate in every activity.  Holding an office is not the only way to get
involved in the organization.

*The NFB does not affiliate with political parties.  We work only on
legislation that will expand opportunities for blind people.

4. I am not blind.

*Most people in the NFB are not totally blind; you will fit right in.

*Our focus is not on how much vision you do or do not have.  We focus on
helping blind people figure out ways to get things done.

*We encourage people to use any tool that can help them get the job done as
efficiently and easily as possible, whether it is a magnifier, a screen
reader, a CCTV, or a cane.

5. The NFB is radical.

*In the NFB we believe that blind people can lead fulfilling, productive
lives.  Does this sound radical?

*Because of societys negative attitudes about blindness, many people might
think that believing blindness is not a tragedy is radical.

*We are working together to change societys attitudes about blindness so
that someday our belief in the capabilities of blind people will not be
considered all that radical.

6. The NFB opposes dog guides.

*We are not opposed to dog guides.  We want blind people to use the tools
that work best for them.

*Many of our national leaders and members are dog guide users.

*We even have a dog guide division so that you can meet other dog guide
users.

*We have filed many lawsuits to protect the rights of dog guide users.

*All blind people are welcome in our organization.

7. The NFB opposes audible traffic signals.

*We are not opposed to audible traffic signals in situations in which they
are necessary; we just believe that blind people should have the chance to
travel anywhere and not be limited to crossing only those streets with
audible signals.

*You do not have to agree with every policy of the organization.  If you
want to improve the lives of blind people, you belong with us.

8. I cannot get to meetings.

*We want you to be a part of us, and we will be happy to help figure
something out.

If no meeting is close to you, you can start attending a meeting a little
further away.  *Often members of a chapter help find a way to get someone to
the meeting by finding a driver or asking another member to help the new
person get there.

*You can also get involved through listservs. Several email lists are
sponsored by the NFB in which you can talk to people and exchange ideas.

9. How do I join?

*Local chapter meetings.

*State convention.

*National Convention and Washington Seminar.

*Braille Monitor.

Other Useful Tips

*Do not let blind people or their family members pass you by.

*Make sure you get their contact information so you can follow up with them.
Try to become a friend.

*Lissten to their concerns about blindness and go out of your way to help
them.

*Do not scare them away by coming on too strong.  Remember, you probably
would not appreciate a stranger telling you that you are doing everything in
your life wrong.

*Find out their interests and introduce them to other Federationists who
share those interests.

*Do not get bogged down trying to explain the nuances of our philosophy.
Remember that coming to terms with blindness is a slow process.

*Your top priority should be making them feel welcome in the organization.

*Transition to the new Unified English Braille.

The Hadley School for the Blinds Transition to UEB course

 <http://hadley.edu/UEBTransition.asp> http://hadley.edu/UEBTransition.asp

Toll free, 800 323 4238.

*Disaster Readiness Guide Available.

To help people with disabilities prepare for natural disasters and other
Emergency situations, the Federal Emergency Management Agency has created a
Guide. booklet entitled Prepare for Emergencies Now: Information for People
with Disabilities which can be accessed at,

http//www.ready.gov/individuals-access-functional-needs. Large print and

Braille versions are also available by calling, 800 480 2520, or emailing,

 <mailto:fema-publications-wharehouse at fema.gov>
fema-publications-wharehouse at fema.gov.

* JACOBUS TENBROEK LEGACY SOCIETY.

Help build a future full of opportunity for the blind by becoming a member

of the Jacobus tenBroek Legacy Society. Your legacy gift to the National

Federation of the Blind can be made in the form of a will or a living trust,

an income-generating gift, or by naming the NFB as a beneficiary of a
retirement plan or life insurance policy. You can also become a member of
the Jacobus tenBroek Legacy Society by making a legacy gift to your state
affiliate. By committing to support an NFB affiliate, your gift will benefit
both local and national programs, since all bequests made to affiliates are

split evenly with the NFB national treasury. In addition to having the
satisfaction of contributing to the future success of the NFBs mission,

tenBroek Legacy Society members also receive a specially designed thank you

gift and other benefits. For additional information, please contact Lou Ann

Blake at the NFB Jernigan Institute by e-mail at, lblake at nfb.org
<mailto:lblake at nfb.org> , or by

telephone at, 410 659 9314, extension 2221.

I hope you enjoy our summer,

Bob Kresmer, President

1 888 899 6322.

Word on the Street

Sorry folks, no announcements were sent in for this month.

Got any news to share with us?  Send it in to:

news at az.nfb.org <mailto:news at az.nfb.org>

We look forward to sharing your news with our extended family here within
the NFB of Arizona.

Guess Who Just Took another Trip around the Sun?

Happy birthday to the following people.  This list covers the birthdays for
July, along with the months of May and June when there was no newsletter.
It also covers August, and September, since there will be no newsletter
during these months.  Happy birthday to all!

May 4, Greg Ambeau, from Mesa.

May 23, Chris Greenlaw, from Phoenix.

June 2, Lauren Heimerdinger, from Phoenix.

June 7, Carol Scharlat, from Mesa.

June 28, Tauru Chaw, from Chandler.

July 3, Judy Schneider, from Tucson.

July 5, Jordan Moon, from Tempe.

July 10, Gerri Piatt, from Tucson.

July 19, Voin White, from Phoenix.

July 20, Debi Chatfield, from Sun Lakes.

July 21, Dhanya Emerson, from Mesa.

July 22, Kaila Allen, from Mesa.

July 29, Judy Hartman, from Mesa.

August 11, Darrell Shandrow, from Tempe.

August 22, Charlie Barnhardt, from Tucson.

August 27, Norma Trujillo, from Mesa.

September 1, Melody Taylor, from Phoenix.

September 3, Janna Peyton, from Tucson.

September 5, Allison Hilliker, from Tempe.

September 7, Ginger Glick, from Northern Arizona.

September 13, Deborah Williams, from Mesa.

September 15, Bob Kresmer, from Tucson.

September 19, Sharonda Greenlaw, from Phoenix.

September 19, John Chatfield, from Sun Lakes.

September 19, Amy Porterfield, from Tucson.

September 19, Somaya Tarin, from Gilbert.

September 25, Nikki Barrett, from Phoenix.

September 29, Gary Reed, from Mesa.

Please help us build our birthday list, by sending your first and last name,
date of birth, (year optional), and the city you live in to:

news at az.nfb.org <mailto:news at az.nfb.org>

Freedom Scientific Gives Huge Discounts at Convention

By Curtis Chong

People who attend conventions of the National Federation of the Blind often
receive benefits that are not available anywhere else. For
 Example, last year, at our 2014 national convention, Federationists were
able to obtain a free iBill currency reader long before anyone else in the
country.

 At this years convention of the National Federation of the Blind, Freedom
Scientific, maker of the well known JAWS, MAGic, and OpenBook programs, is
wishing the National Federation of the Blind a happy 75th birthday by
offering these programs at a tremendous discount. These discounts are
available only to registered attendees of the convention and only if they
visit the Freedom Scientific booth in the convention exhibit hall. You can
hear about this on FS Cast #108, available for
 Download at,
  <http://podcast.freedomscientific.com/FSCast/episodes/FSCast108-Mark_Ric>
http://podcast.freedomscientific.com/FSCast/episodes/FSCast108-Mark_Ric
 cobon
 o,Robin_Drodge.mp3.
  Here are the details:

 1.         A brand new copy of JAWS 16 home user edition will be available
for $75. A service maintenance agreement will cost only $100; this will
 ensure that you are able to obtain the next two versions of JAWS:
 version 17 and 18. Normally, the home edition of JAWS sells for $895.
 2.         If you own an older copy of JAWS, regardless of its age, you
will be able to upgrade to the home edition of JAWS 16 for $50. As with the
 brand new copy, a service maintenance agreement is available for $100.
 Anyone who has ever had to pay for an upgrade to his/her JAWS license
knows that an upgrade can cost several hundred dollars, depending on
 how many versions one has to traverse.

 3.         If you are interested in a screen enlargement program with
speech, MAGic version 13 will be sold for $50, and a service  maintenance
agreement for this software is available for $75. MAGic
 with speech normally sells for $595.

 4.         Finally, If you are interested in a print reading program,
Freedom Scientifics OpenBookR OCR software is available for $75.
 OpenBookR normally sells for $995.

 Again, this offer is available only to registered attendees of the 2015
National Federation of the Blind convention, and attendees must visit  the
Freedom Scientific booth in the convention exhibit hall.

 This is a good example of a significant benefit that is only available  to
people attending conventions of the National Federation of the Blind.

BARD Mobile for Android Devices

By Linda Montgomery

The BARD Mobile app enables NLS patrons to download audiobooks and audio
magazines directly to their Android devices, provided they have BARD
accounts and are using devices running Android OS 4.1 or later. The user
guide is available from the bookshelf of the app and online in HTML format
at,

 <https://nlsbard.loc.gov/apidocs/android/v1.0/toc.html>
https://nlsbard.loc.gov/apidocs/android/v1.0/toc.html.

Help screens are also available from inside the app and may be accessed by
activating the Context menu or the More Options button and selecting Help.

Accessing NFB Newsline with Your Digital Talking Book Player

By David Meyer

During the past several years, the National Federation of the Blind has made
a concerted attempt to create new methods for users to access NFB NewsLine.
As a result, we now have several ways to access this service. You may access
NewsLine through a computer application called Webnews on Demand. Another
option is NewsLine in Your Pocket, an application that runs on several book
readers created for blind users. Podable News enables users to customize
their own newspaper reading. The Digital Talking Book Downloader enables the
user to copy NewsLine content onto a cartridge or flash drive and play it on
the NLS Digital Talking Book Machine.

The NLS Digital Downloader

Anyone who has the Digital Talking Book Player provided by the National
Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped (NLS) and a
computer can use the Digital Talking Book Downloader. Any newspaper or
magazine now available on Nfb NewsLine may be downloaded to a cartridge or
flash drive and played on the Digital Talking Book Player. As with any other
application of NewsLine, the user may download content and listen anywhere,
at any time, day or night.

With so many access methods available, what are the advantages of using the
Digital Talking Book Player to listen to NewsLine? First of all, you do not
need to buy an additional handheld reading device such as a Victor Stream,
Braille Plus, or Book Sense. Second, you can enjoy the excellent sound
quality offered by the Digital Talking Book Player. I find the sound to be
quite balanced when the machine is set to its default settings, but users
can experiment to find the setting they prefer.

Using the NLS Digital Downloader

In order to access NewsLine with the NLS Digital Downloader, you will need a
computer, a cartridge or flash drive, and a Digital Talking Book Player.
Also, you must install the Digital Talking Book Downloader to your computer.
You can find this software at  <http://www.nfbnewslineonline.org/>
www.nfbnewslineonline.org.

Two versions of the software are available. One includes Java software, and
the other is the DTB downloader minus the Java software. Unless you have up
to date Java software installed already, it is best to install the version
that includes Java.

Once you have installed the software, you can access it from your desktop by
hitting the letter n until you hear, NLS Digital Talking Book Downloader. At
this point you should have your flash drive or DTB cartridge connected to
your computer. Press Enter. You will be welcomed to the NLS Digital Talking
Book Downloader. The first time you have your drive connected, you will be
prompted for your six digit NFB NewsLine ID number and security code. Type
them in as prompted and press Enter again. You will then be asked if you
wish to have your device identified as your NLS DTB device, with your name
being offered at the beginning of the prompt. Press y, for yes. Then press
Enter a third time to establish your connection.

In order to use the NLS Digital Downloader, you will need to have a
Favorites list established. You may use the Favorites list you have created
for your phone, or you may create a new Favorites list by going to the link,
Manage My DTB Favorites, which can be found under the link "Manage My
Favorites." Once you have established a Favorites list, the program will ask
you if you wish to download each item in your list. Type y, for yes or n,
for no and press Enter. Continue this process until you have marked each
item in your Favorites list. Each individual newspaper or magazine will then
be downloaded to your cartridge or flash drive. You can monitor the download
by listening for the program to announce each individual megabyte that is
downloaded. The files are in MP3 format, so it could take quite some time to
download your selections.

Once the download is complete, press Control, plus c, to terminate the
program. You may then listen to NFB Newsline on your Digital Talking Book
Player to your hearts content

Amazon Smile

By Debra Smith

Amazon.com has established a means of making contributions to your favorite
charitable organization, the National Federation of the Blind of Arizona.

Each time you want to purchase from Amazon, simply go to,
<http://smile.amazon.com/> http://smile.amazon.com.  The first time, you
simply select National Federation of the Blind of Arizona as your charitable
organization of choice to receive one half of one percent of your eligible
purchases.  After your first visit to this site and after you have chosen
us, each purchase you make from,  <http://smile.amazon.com/>
http://smile.amazon.com will create a donation from Amazon!  This costs you
nothing, but creates a donation from Amazon.  Please let your friends and
family, acquaintances, your Facebook friends, your suppliers and customers
know that they can support your favorite charitable organization,

The NFB of Arizona.

To learn more, go to  <http://smile.amazon.com/about>
http://smile.amazon.com/about

After registering for Amazon Smile, you will receive a confirmation. Please
forward this confirmation to me and I will put your name into a drawing for
a variety of prizes. The drawing will be held at the state convention.

debraasmith0 at gmail.com <mailto:debraasmith0 at gmail.com>

New Health and Wellness Opportunities in Phoenix

By Mike Armstrong

How important to you is your health? My name is Mike Armstrong and I am the
Health and Wellness Coordinator for the Southern Arizona Association for the
Visually Impaired (SAAVI) in Phoenix. I am excited to spread the news about
the expansion of our fitness/recreation program in the greater Phoenix area.
SAAVI expanded its services from Tucson to Phoenix three years ago and we
are still growing. Our Health and Wellness classes and clinics are an
integral piece of our program. Now it is expanding to offer free fitness
classes for the visually impaired of all ages and fitness levels.

I am now at the age of 45 and in some of the best shape of my life, but this
was not always the case. In 1996 I lost my eyesight. I went from driving on
Sunday to totally blind on Monday. This was a very difficult change for me
to come to terms with. I have always lived an active lifestyle, but when I
lost my sight I became sedentary. I gained an additional 70 pounds within a
year. I had experience with fitness and was able to make a change, but
unfortunately this is not the case for much of the visually impaired
population. This is why I am excited about our program.

Children that are blind or visually impaired are often left out of physical
activities. This is generally because the PE teacher does not have the time
to work with them one on one. This can lead to a lack of physical fitness,
depression, anxiety and obesity throughout their lives into adulthood.

In regards to our adult and senior population the loss of eyesight is
extremely difficult to adapt to. Movement in general is difficult and the
lack of confidence in their environment often leads to a less active
lifestyle. A lack of exercise often results in several serious medical
issues, even death.

Our new expansion in Phoenix enables financially challenged visually
impaired to receive free personal and group fitness training. The program is
open to all ages with an emphasis on adults over fifty five. Through the use
of our proven Health and Wellness model we assess the participant’s fitness
level and build a custom program to fit their needs. Our personal fitness
trainers use the guidelines and regiments from the National Academy of
Sports Medicine’s Optimal Performance Training program for weight, cardio,
flexibility, and endurance training. We utilize classes in Karate, Jujitsu,
Tai Chi and Yoga to improve strength, balance, and endurance. In addition we
run outings exposing the participants to recreational activities like
hiking, swimming, rock climbing, Stand Up Paddle Boarding, kayaking, and
tandem cycling. We also run workshops for both adult and youth on adapted
sports like Goalball, Beep Baseball, Blind Golf, and water sports.

SAAVIes mission statement/motto is Expect More, Achieve More, and Become
More. In order to achieve more one needs the physical energy to do so. I
have personally worked with participants that could not walk for more than
one minute without needing a break. I would love to have everyone be able to
climb mountains with me, but maybe the personal mountain that needs to be
climbed is the ability to walk to the store.

If you are interested in our program, or know somebody that would benefit
from our services, please contact Me at,  <mailto:marmstrong at saavi.us>
marmstrong at saavi.us. If you would like to contact me via phone, you can do
so at, 602 795 0195, extension 102. We can all use a bit of HEALTH, but that
will start with movement. So please do not stop yourself from moving
forward

Save the Date for VRATE

By Barbara McDonald

Are you or someone you know experiencing vision loss, or a combined vision
and hearing loss?  Are you looking for information, help, or support with
your vision problem or vision/hearing problem?

Then, mark your calendar for December 11, 2015, for the 20th Annual Vision
Rehabilitation and Assistive Technology Expo (VRATE) at the Phoenix
Convention Center in the South Building located at, 33 South 3rd Street from
9:00 am to 4:00 pm.  There will be speakers and exhibitors presenting
information and products that will be of great interest to you.  This is a
FREE event.

For the most current information, go to,

 <http://www.vrate.org/> www.vrate.org.

Mohave County Attacks the Business Enterprise Program

By Debra Smith

Mohave County is located in the Northwest part of the state and includes
Lake Havasue, Kingman and a number of smaller towns. The Arizona Business
Enterprise Program has a route that includes machines in both the larger
cities and smaller towns. There are roughly 38 machines in Mohave County
buildings. Our operator passed away a couple of years ago and we have not
found anyone in the area to interested in BEP. To preserve the route for the
future, we have it contracted to a local company who does vending and other
food service. For the last year theBEP office received a commission to
operate the program. It is true that we can use matching funds with this
money, so if we receive $2000. In commissions we can match it with federal
funds and it becomes roughly $10,000.

There was a County Supervisor meeting in May. Supervisor Buster Johnson was
questioning the Randolph Sheppard priority.

in the Lake Havasu newspaper, there was an op ed that I have cut and pasted
below:

Our View: Arizona program that favors blind vendors needs overhaul

A state program that awards lucrative government contracts to businesses
owned by blind people has outlived its usefulness.

Arizona’s Business Enterprise Program, administered through the Department
of Economic Security, encourages blind people to run vending and food
services businesses by awarding contracts that generate more than $15
million in gross sales.

The contracts allow the vendors to service vending machines located in
government owned buildings throughout the state. To qualify for the
contracts, vendors are required to be legally blind and licensed with the
state.

However, they can operate their businesses by hiring sighted employees or
subcontract the work out to other vending businesses. Despite state claims
otherwise, there’s a huge potential for abuse of this system.

Mohave County Supervisor Buster Johnson was right to question the program,
and it is good that the rest of the board lined up behind him on Monday.

The countys own vending machine contract came up for renewal earlier this
month, and even though there is no blind vendor available to service Mohave
County, the last operator recently died and the state has so far been unable
to find a replacement. It seems the county does not have a choice about how
it proceeds with the contract.

Meanwhile, there are vending machine operators already here in Mohave County
who could benefit from being able to bid on a government contract, but
they’re restricted from doing so because the business owners retain their
vision.

Bottom line? The Business Enterprise Program is unfair and anticompetitive.
There was a time that the program was much needed.

Job opportunities for blind people in the nineteen thirties were not
available like they are today. In fact, over the years the program has
helped employ people who might qualify for various government subsidies.

But technological advances over the decades have made countless career
opportunities available to anyone who can use a keyboard and a telephone.

It is time for state and federal legislators to review the program and make
changes so that one group is not being unfairly favored over others.

also wrote a response, there has been no editorial printed in response to
this opinion. Below is my letter to the editor, I also sent this to all of
the county supervisors and the reporter who wrote the paper’s editorial.

We are living the Life we want!

I am compelled to respond to an editorial that was printed in your newspaper
Our View, quote, Arizona Program that Favors Blind People Needs Overhaul,
quote. I would like to share a different view. I am a blind entrepreneur in
the Arizona Business Enterprise Program. I am also a mother of a blind
daughter who is a college graduate and is an entrepreneur in the Minnesota
Business Enterprise program. I would love to tell you that there is no
discrimination and that blind and visually impaired people can walk into the
company of their choice and get a job using the telephone and keyboard, but
this is not true. According to the National Federation of the blind,
website, 62.3 percent of the nations blind and visually impaired are
unemployed and those who are employed, many of them are under employed and
under paid. My hopes and dreams for my daughter were that she would get her
dream job after graduation from the University of Northern Iowa. But, she
looked for months and obtained a minimum wage job working for the City of
Minneapolis. After several years she became licensed and was operating a
business in the Minnesota program.

The stereotypes about blind people have existed for eons, and still inhibit
employers from hiring highly qualified blind people.  The best opportunity
for blind people still seems to be to work for the government, or to become
selfemployed entrepreneurs.  The development of sophisticated technology
helps blind persons become educated and acquire desirable skills for
employers, who still refuse to hire them.  Business owners have learned to
hate the Americans with Disabilities law, and the unemployment rate for
blind working age people has barely budged.  Quote, The Business Enterprise
program remains one of the most successful programs for creating employment
opportunities for blind people, quote, said Bob Kresmer, President of the
National Federation of the Blind of Arizona. (Longtime advocate of blind and
visually impaired people.)

In Arizona the Business Enterprise Program is one of the best jobs programs
for the blind. Under the leadership of our new program manager, Jason Sauer,
and the new administration in the Department of Economic Security, we have
grown our program to 31 locations. Yes, we have a few open locations, and if
you know of someone interested, who is legally blind, a resident of Arizona
and is 18 years of age and also has the entrepreneur spirit, please put them
in touch with the Arizona Business Enterprise Program. Our medium income has
grown by 51 percent under the new leadership. This means we are all paying
more taxes and spending money. We hire over 225 Arizona citizens to work in
our facilities. While it is true we need to hire some people to work for us
and with us, all business hire people. Most of us are found operating a cash
register, washing dishes or servicing a vending route during business hours.
After regular business hours many of us are doing bookwork, managing
employee issues and getting organized for the next day.  The article
indicated that we only hire a few disable people, this number only reflects
the employees who have disclosed their disabilities, we cannot ask
employee’s if they have a disability, I am sure there are a lot more but
they have chosen not to disclose this to us.

Our program is getting national recognition for the positive changes and
growth. .              Four TV news stories on Channel 15 (Phoenix), Channel
4 (Tucson),

Cronkite News Service (statewide and syndicated), and Capitol TV, and one
print piece with AZ Republic reporting on various program related
information, the blind vendors and what they do, Jason has served on a
number of national panels to discuss our program, he serves on a national
training committee sponsored by The Blind Entrepreneur initiative and the
renown Hadley School for the Blind. Several of our own operators are active
in the Arizona Automatic Merchandizers Council as well as the National
Association of Blind Merchants.

With the positive change and growth in the Arizona program, I find it hard
to believe anyone would Overhaul this successful program. We need more
profitable locations and we need to put more blind people to work.  Our
entrepreneurs are working, employing Arizona citizens, paying taxes, raising
children, enjoying their families: We are living the life we want!

Putting Blindness in its Proper Place

By Leslie Hamric

Reprinted from the Braille Examiner

NFB of Illinois Newsletter

Last year, I sat in General Session at the NFB of Illinois state convention,
thinking about a particular blindness issue. I was asking myself what is an
appropriate reaction when someone says the all too familiar words, quote,
You are amazing! Quote, or quote, You have a lot of courage! Quote. How can
one react to these statements without sounding rude or condescending?

I waited eagerly to hear what the last speech of the day would be. All I
knew was that Shawn Mayo, the director of BLIND, Inc. (Blindness Learning in
New Dimensions), was going to say a few words about the NFB training
programs. I figured she would state why we all should go to BLIND, Inc., for
training, and that would be that. Little did I know that her speech would
ultimately change how I react to the word courage.

As I listened intently, Shawn told the story of how someone reacted to her
blindness as she was getting food at the airport one day. She was simply
standing in line, minding her own business. As she moved through the line,
someone approached her and stated, quote, Miss, you sure have a lot of
courage. Quote. I figured Shawn would say that what she was doing did not
take courage, and that she was just living her life. Instead, she said
something very different. After a few moments of hesitation, she answered,
quote, It does not take courage to stand here in line and get my food. What
does take courage is putting blindness in its proper place. Quote.

I sat there, stunned. What did Shawn just say? She said that it takes
courage to put blindness in its proper place. Why?  What did she mean by
this statement?

She went on to say that in order to put blindness in its proper place, one
needs training in alternative techniques. The training helps one feel
worthwhile. It helps one realize that blindness is not a tragedy. Finally,
the training helps one rediscover one's identity. Instead of viewing
blindness as a detriment, it now can be viewed as an asset. One can now say
that it is respectable to be blind. Blindness does not make one totally
helpless or totally superhuman. Rather, blindness is just an alternative way
of living. The person is now someone with the same talents and abilities who
just happens to be blind. As they say, the show must go on.

As General Session came to a close, relief swept over me as never before. I
felt like a butterfly set free at last. For once, when someone said I was
amazing or that I have a lot of courage, I knew what to say. I had a
response that would work every time.

So now, when someone approaches me and says how amazing I am, I think of
Shawn Mayos story about getting food at the airport. I think of how she
responded to the well intentioned person who said she had a lot of courage.
Instead of getting annoyed, I simply say something like, quote, You know,
going to the store itself is not what takes courage. What does take courage
is going through training and putting blindness in its proper place. Quote.
This way, folks know that courage does have a place in the adjustment
process, but it is a very different place from what they may have imagined.

Are You Safe at Home, Part 2

By Robert D. Sollars

A lot of the same things that we talked about with doors are equally true
with windows. I liked sitting by the window. They are wonderful to sit by
and watch the snow fall, a thunderstorm, or the birds playing and joyfully
chirping.

But, while they are not a primary way to enter and exit your home, they do
make it vulnerable to an intruder. Therefore, you have to take precautions
with them to ensure that they are not an inviting target.

As with the doors, you have to check the window panes themselves. Do you
have any of them that are cracked or do not fit properly in the frame? You
can usually go to one of the social service agencies to get assistance in
fixing them.  As windows get older they begin to sag and pull apart. You may
have gaps in the individual frames and the panes of glass in the window.
These can be fixed cheaply enough by some caulking, or replacing the window,
which is preferable of course.

If your window panes or frames are shrinking it is because of several
conditions with where you live. In northern climates, you get cooling and
then heating of the glass, even in winter time, because of the furnace. Over
time, this heating and cooling, sometimes rapidly, can cause the shrinking.
If you live in the desert, then the extreme heat of Arizona in summer can do
it also, although it does not cool that much at night.

If you simply tape or caulk the gaps, then you may be helping your electric
bill, but you are not providing a deterrent to a criminal. Typically, the
older the window, the thinner the pane of glass, and a thin pane does not
take that much to break. If possible consider either double paned, safety,
or thermal glass windows. They will make breaking the window much noisier,
keep your electric bill down, and possibly deter a burglar.

If you have gaps between the frame and glass, securing them with tape or
caulk isn’t effective in keeping out a burglar. It actually makes their task
easier. And, even if you caulk it, then it is a simple matter to place a
knife in the caulk and begin cutting or pushing it out.

Look at the overall window frame as well. Is it cracked and the window
itself not fitting properly any longer? Again, in many older homes this can
create a problem, mainly in your electric bill but in security as well. Just
as in the case of your doors, if the frame is cracked, worn, or fitting
loosely, then it will not be much of an issue to get into your home to do
whatever it is they want to do.

While the modern trend is to have windows that are sealed shut or sliding
windows, I do not like them like that. Yes, they can save your electric
bill, in the case of the windows that are sealed. And sliding windows are
good for those that are weaker, or for younger children to open to listen to
the birds or grab a handful of snow as it falls silently.

But if you are older and have sealed windows, then how do you get out of the
house if there is a fire or other emergency? You may be too weak to pick up
a chair and throw it through the window to break it so you can get out. And
with a sliding one, how can you place a fan in the window to get air flow if
the window allows a 3 or 4 foot opening above the fan?

I prefer to have double hung windows on a sash as in many older homes. Or
the modern equivalent of a window that raises vertically and pulls out to be
cleaned by tilting.

Can you effectively secure the window with locks even if it is open? Of
course you can! It just takes a bit of research to figure out the best way
to do it. The easiest way to do it is with an old fashioned twist lock, like
on those older windows you are replacing. As long as you cannot put a knife
blade through the 2 parts of the window to jimmy it, you will be okay.

If you go to your hardware store they can show you a multitude of locks for
your windows. From the type that utilizes a side locking mechanism, to a
myriad of others. Just do not take the cheapest one you can find.  And never
forget the broomstick or dowel rod to place above the window to prevent it
from being raised as far as you want it. Cut it to size, and it makes a
great lock for any window, even a sliding window. If you buy a dowel rod,
ensure that it is thick enough to prevent someone from pressuring it to snap
when they raise the window.

As for a fan or window air conditioner unit, you can use them, but be a tad
sly when mounting them on the frame. Nail the frame of the air conditioner
to the frame in several spots. This way they will not be able to pull it out
to gain access.

Likewise, take the feet from the bottom of the fan and nail them to the
frame using 4 nails or screws. Nail it down and then bend the nails in
opposite directions and pound them down as well.  With both of these
examples, the miscreants trying to get into your home will have to work
twice as hard, and hopefully abandon the attempt and go to someone elses
home.

Donate to Our Upcoming Fall Auction!

By Debra Smith

We will be holding our auction at our annual convention, coming up September
11 through 13. We are looking for brand new, or gently used items to auction
during the convention. Please let me know if you have items to donate, I
will try to gather a list and put them on the website. We are already
getting donations. In fact, we have a like new, 2 year old, 64 gig, iPad
Mini that could be yours!  The iPad Mini comes with a green with white polka
dots, Kate Spade iPad sleeve. We also have a brand new USB headset with
microphone, a Coach purse, bracelet from Apricot Lane, and much more!

What are you waiting for?  Clean out your closets!  Gather up your gently
used technology that is just lying around since you got a new upgrade, bake
some delicious treats, request an item of donation from your favorite local
businesses, and make a donation to our worthy cause!  Let’s make this
auction the best we have ever had!

Please let me know if you have questions or donations.  Contact me at,

 <mailto:Debraasmith0 at gmail.com> Debraasmith0 at gmail.com

Agenda for Writers Division Meeting at Convention

By Eve Sanchez

Tuesday, July 7, 2015  1:00 to 4:30 pm

Salon 16, level 2

For those who could not attend in person, but wish to call in, the phone
number is, 712 432 0460. You will be prompted to enter the access code:
568839Pound.

1:00-    Registration and dues. Due to limited time, we ask that if you
desire to share, that you register at this time. There is no cost associated
with reading your work; it will just help us keep on schedule.

1:30, Call to order with introductions of all.

                        Division Report, Chelsea Cook

Slate and Style Report, Eve Sanchez

Old Business, Chelsea Cook

2:25, Election of Officers, Nominating Committee.

2:35, New Business, Newly elected President.

2:50, Results of 2015 Writing Contest, Chelsea Cook

3:00, Contest Discussion, Improvements or suggestions. Theme?

3:10 to 4:15 Time to Share:

                                    Members are welcome to recite a piece of
flash fiction, a short story or a poem with the group.

4:15, Parting message from the New President with a look to the future of
the Writers Division.

4:30, Adjournment.

The Bookshelf, 2 Selections

 Do you love to curl up with a good book?  Been meaning to read that best
seller?  Here are two book selections that you may wish to read!  If you
have a book that you absolutely loved and want to share your thoughts about
it with us, please send in your write up to:

news at az.nfb.org <mailto:news at az.nfb.org>

Happy reading!

Book #1, Pontoon

DB65397

Written by Garrison Keillor

Read by Jack Fox

Reading time 7 hours, 6 minutes
Genre: Humor, Bestsellers.
When the elderly Evelyn dies, she leaves behind instructions to have her
ashes put in a bowling ball, given to her by a mysterious boyfriend, and
then dropped into the lake. These arrangements conflict with another Lake
Wobegon woman's unusual wedding plans. Some descriptions of sex and some
strong language. Bestseller. 2007.
 <https://nlsbard.loc.gov/nlsbardprod/download/book/srch/DB65397> Download
Pontoon: a Lake Wobegon novel

Book #2, Ambitious Brew, The Story of American Beer

DB63591

Written by Maureen Ogle

Read by Martha Harmon Pardee

Reading Time 13 hours, 34 minutes

Genre:  Cooking, Business and Economics.
Traces the history of beer brewing and consumption from the mid 1800s, when
an influx of German immigrants energized the industry. Profiles beer
entrepreneurs Frederick Pabst, Budweisers Carl Conrad, and the Busch and
Yuengling families. Examines the impact of Prohibition, World Wars I and II,
and the rise of microbreweries. 2006.
 <https://nlsbard.loc.gov/nlsbardprod/download/book/srch/DB63591> Download
Ambitious brew: the story of American beer

Healthy Choice, Healthy Living, Stair Climbing

By Lawrence MacLellan

Hello everybody! This month I would like to tell you about something that I
do as part of my exercise program.  It is called stair climbing and I spend
about 20 to 30 minutes 3 to 4 times a week doing this exercise. You could
alternate stair climbing with the treadmill, or some other equipment like an
elliptical or stationary bike. It is important that you are doing something
that works your heart. In other words, something cardio at least 3 to 4
times a week.

Lets start with the technique.  It is very important to use the proper
technique so that you do not hurt your knees. If you have ever used an
elliptical, then you will understand what I am trying to explain. Stay in an
upright position. Do not lean forward. When your foot leaves the step, make
sure it comes off the step without shifting your weight to the ball of the
foot. In other words, your foot should leave the step flatfooted.  The foot
should land on the step flatfooted as well. This way you are using the
muscles of the leg and not putting all of the work on your knees. It takes a
little practice, but you will get the hang of it .

Here comes the tricky part. You go back down the stairs backwards using the
same technique.Make sure you are using the handrail to help guide you and
please start out slow. Use a half flight of stairs so you are only using
about 8 steps or so. Holding on to the stair rail and keeping your body
upright, start out slowly so that you get the feel for it.  After some
practice, you could listen to a book or music on your Victor stream or
whatever you use for your listening device. You could set a timer and keep
adding a little time each time so you eventually are walking for 20 to 30
minutes, 3 to 4 times a week.

It is good to step backwards, because you will be using muscles that you do
not normally use. A lot of people that have knee or hip problems will go to
a physio therapist  and they will have you walking backwards and even
sideways on a treadmill for your therapy.

If you do this technique properly, it will not be hard on the knees unless
you have some serious knee problems.  Then you should see a physio
specialist for an  exercise program.

Developing the muscles in the leg will support your knees.  Just do not
overdo it, and start out slow.

If you live in an apartment building then use the stairwell, but if you do
not have any stairs to use, ask your neighbour  or friend .

If you have any balance problems or any other difficulties that would make
this dangerous, then please do not try this.

Use a handrail, start out slow, work on the technique  and build up the time
that you spend walking stairs. A few years ago  I installed a second hand
rail. This is the ideal situation because you have one hand on each hand
rail, making it a lot safer and much more comfortable.

I realize that this is not for everybody but for those that can handle it,
you will find it to be a great workout.

Good luck and remember that your success will come, quote, one step at a
time, quote.

East Valley Chapter News

By Megan Homrighausen

To celebrate summer, the East Valley Chapter had its annual pool party.
Debra and Rocky hosted it, and from what I have heard, it turned out to be a
great day. We want to thank Bob Kresmer and his wife Lynn Kresmer for
coming. It was wonderful to know that you attended our gathering.

Our Braille club has been going strong. We have been teaching new members
our philosophy as well as practicing our Braille. We finished the Kernel
book titled, Like Cats And Dogs, on June 30th. It was a big accomplishment
for us, and I am so proud of our club. Each of us read paragraph by
paragraph until we finished. We will be reading, Gold Horses and Gray
Pancakes, next.

Our chapter meetings have been run by First Vice President Mark Feliz since
May, as I have been working in the BELL program as well as the SAAVI Ready
Set Go Camp. He has been doing a most excellent job. I would like to thank
him as well.

Our chapter is starting to think of ways to help the community. We are
getting our constitution finished, and we are starting to up our candy
sales. We will be selling even more candy than we ever have before. Jenny
Kasl and Megan Homrighausen have decided to join Matt Mayzak in the selling
of Worlds Finest Chocolate candy bars.

If you have any interest in being a part of our East Valley Chapter, or if
you would like more information about our Braille club, please call, 480 510
6196.

West Valley Chapter News

By Marcus Schmidt

OK, it is now official:
In case you had not heard yet, the time and location of our west valley
meetings has changed.
Since our prior location, the Olive Garden, had become too small for
us as well as too noisy to effectively conduct business, our chapter
board decided earlier this week to hold our chapter meetings at
Dennys Restaurant, near 51st Ave and Thunderbird.

More precisely, it is located at, 5151 West Thunderbird Road, in Glendale.
Being less than a block from the Phoenix border, Phoenix Dial a Ride
should take you there.

Instead of Tuesdays, we will meet every first Wednesday of odd numbered
months,
from 6 to 8 pm, though the room is held from 5:30 on.
Thus, our next meeting will fall on September 2nd.

Please help me in spreading the word, so that we can have a strong
showing at our meetings. If our attendance falls below 15 repeatedly,
the normal $50 charge for the room, will not be waived anymore.

At our last meeting, we held elections for our chapter board, and the
results are as follows:

President, Marc Schmidt

First Vice President, Nicki Jeffords

Secretary, Kristen Johnson

Treasurer, Kaye Spears

Board Member, Lisa Dugan

Board Member, Rodney Fletcher

If you would like a chance at winning an all expenses paid trip to next
years national convention, you still have until Sunday evening to
call me and let me know that you're buying a $10 Jernigan raffle
ticket. I can be reached any time after 12:30 Sunday on my cell phone
at, 602 758 0057.

Due to the impending national convention (being held in Orlando July
5th through 10th), the road show could not come to this chapter
meeting, in which Amys team would have talked to us about NFB
philosophy, advocacy and membership growth; but we are hoping that
they will be able to come some time soon.

The Recipe Box, Mexican Chicken Casserole

By Debi Chatfield

Ingredients:

4 Boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, (3-4 cups cooked)
1 can, 10.75 ounces, Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 can, 10.75 ounces, Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
1 can, 10 ounces, diced tomatoes with green chilies, mild or hot
1 package, 10 count flour tortillas
2 cups, shredded Cheddar Cheese

Directions:
Boil chicken until cooked through; drain and cool. When cool enough
to handle, shred apart.  In large bowl combine chicken, both soups, and
tomatoes.  Mix well.  Tear or cut tortillas into fourths. In large baking
pan layer tortillas, then chicken mixture and cheese. Repeat until chicken
mixture and cheese are gone.  Best if top layer is cheese. Bake at 375°
until
cheese is melted and hot.

Enjoy!  Best Dishes!

A Round of Applause

Thanks go out to you, our extended family here in the National Federation of
the Blind! You participate and spend time attending monthly meetings, raise
necessary funds to support our valuable programs, reach out to others
needing the information and resources we offer, and get to know and give
support to one another, so that we may continue to learn and grow. Our goal
is to be independent, productive members of society, and through your
efforts and working together, we are truly changing what it means to be
blind! So, a big thank you to you all, and keep up the good work!

Debbies List

No, this is not Craigs List, but it is the next best thing!  If you have
something to sell, or announce, send us your ad, and we will post it, as
long as there is space available in the newsletter.  Send your ads to:

news at az.nfb.org <mailto:news at az.nfb.org>

**  Are you blind and a lover of craft making? Would you like to share your
love
of crafting with other like-minded people? Would you be interested in
learning a new craft taught by and geared specifically for blind folks? If
the answer to any of these questions is yes, then visit the NFB Crafters
Division website at
http://www.krafterskorner.org <http://www.krafterskorner.org/>
We offer a free email list for discussion of all crafts with friendly folks
ready to help in any way.
We also offer classes in both phone conference call as well as email
formats, which are only available to members of our division. The cost for
membership is $20 per year allowing a member to take as many classes as they
wish. Having offered 72 classes in 2014 in a wide variety of crafts, you are
certain to find classes to peak your interest.
Check out our membership page, join during our early bird special in March,
and get four months free.
For questions, please contact our president Joyce Kane at,

 blindhands at aol.com <mailto:blindhands at aol.com>

Cathy F.

**  a Useful, Stylish New Idea!
When you go out for a walk, or running to class, are you looking for a way
to easily carry your water bottle and cellphone, in a way that would be both
stylish and practical?  Are you looking for something that can hold many
items, yet is not heavy on its own?  Well look no further than the
Invisibag! This is a stretchable belt like strap that clips easily around
your waist.  It contains two zipperred pockets, one for a conventional water
bottle, and one that is the perfect size for your smartphone.  With the
water bottle pocket you will be able to carry around a water bottle, without
the need to carry a purse or backpack, as it simply hangs from your belt.
The cellphone pocket allows you to carry your cellphone in a safe, secure
environment. You can feel your cellphone vibrating, yet it is difficult to
steal as one must open the zipperred pocket to get the cellphone out.  And
when you're done using it for the day, just take all your items out and let
it sit around your waist. it is so light you will not even notice.
As these are imported products, you will not find them anywhere on the U.S.
market.  I personally handle all the importing and costs myself.  I'm asking
only $20 per each one.
Please send me an email at,

 <mailto:techluver at techluver.co.za> techluver at techluver.co.za if anyone is
interested.

Harrison Tu

**  Are you having trouble with your computer?  Did you just purchase that
must
have app, but have a question?  Perhaps, you have some tips to share?  If
so, please join the BlindTech e-mail list.
To join, send a message with subscribe in the subject line to:
blindtech-request at freelists.org <mailto:blindtech-request at freelists.org>
alternatively, you may visit:
http://www.freelists.org/list/blindtech

**  Join a Free Voice Chat Site Community on the Web!

Would you like to meet other blind or visually impaired individuals from
across the country and around the world? Do you like challenging interactive
games, old time radio, learning about adapted cooking techniques, a monthly
book club, product presentations, chess instruction, computer tech help,
Bible Study, a blindness support group, a weekly talent show, iPhone
discussions, and much more?     Join our free chat community at:

 www.Out-Of-Sight.net <http://www.out-of-sight.net/> .

Stay Connected

Sending this newsletter to friends?  Tell them they can receive this monthly
newsletter by subscribing to:

Nfbaz-news-subscribe at az.nfb.org <mailto:Nfbaz-news-subscribe at az.nfb.org>

If you have any changes in your contact info for the state roster, chapters,
or divisions, please write to:

news at az.nfb.org <mailto:news at az.nfb.org>

and we will send your info to the appropriate people and make the necessary
corrections.

Contact our President, Bob Kresmer at:

888 899 6322, or write to:

 <mailto:krezguy at cox.net> krezguy at cox.net

If you would like to submit an announcement or article for publication in
this monthly newsletter, please send your submission to:

 <mailto:news at az.nfb.org> news at az.nfb.org

Grins and Groans - The Usual Endings

Submitted by Bob Kresmer

Why is the letter A like a flower?

It gets followed by a bee.

How much do pirates pay for their earrings?

About a buccaneer!

What do you get when you cross the Atlantic Ocean with the Titanic?

Halfway.

Debi Chatfield

Editor