[Nfb-greeley] Fw: July-August CCB newsletter

melissa R green graduate56 at juno.com
Fri Sep 14 00:02:03 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: Carol Sprague
To: csprague at cocenter.org
Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2012 4:16 PM
Subject: July-August CCB newsletter

COLORADO CENTER FOR THE BLIND

2233 W. Shepperd Ave.

Littleton, CO  80120

303-778-1130   800-401-4632

ccb at cocenter.org    www. cocenter.org

July-August Newsletter

Take charge with confidence and self-reliance

Message from the Director

One of the primary things that we do at the Colorado Center for the Blind is
to educate the public regarding the capabilities of blind people.  We do
this every day as we travel around the city, meet with prospective
employers, provide tours of the center and talk with school aged kids and
their teachers.  The opportunities for education are endless.  Our staff and
students learn how to articulately and gracefully deal with the public even
when people may be condescending.  Last weekend Maureen Nietfeld and I
traveled to Arizona to attend a convention.  On our way there and on our way
back we encountered several people who would not let us travel independently
through the airport.  Our flight attendant even decided that we needed to
have lids and straws so we would not spill. Maureen teaches home management
at the center. She shows people how to grill, prepare complex meals using
large knives and much more.  Did this bother us?  How did we handle this?
Mostly, we continued to do our best to show others around us that we are
capable and confident people who happen to be blind. We were able to handle
several situations effectively because we truly believe that it is
respectable to be blind. This philosophy is what we impart to our students
each day.  Our philosophy classes on blindness provide a time for
discussion.  When students are out on the streets during cane travel class
they often get on the spot lessons about how to best work with the public.
This aspect of center training shapes all of us, staff and students alike.

Program Notes

Independence Training Program

Remembering Jason:

Jason Young came to the center from Arkansas.  He had not been blind for
long and was eager to learn how to get his independence back.  Jason loved
adventures and was truly a free spirit.  Jason worked as a sound engineer
for many years.  He was beginning to realize that he could again work in
this field and that his blindness would not get in his way. Jason loved all
music from Tony Bennett to Frank Sinatra to the Red Hot Chili Peppers.  He
told his family and his friends that he loved being at the center and
learning that he was not the only blind person around.  Jason passed away
two weeks ago.  He loved his family, friends and had a very big heart,
always wanting to give back to others. When Jason would laugh we could not
help laughing ourselves.  When he would talk, we all listened as what he
said was so worth hearing.  We all have learned from Jason.  Love, live and
laugh!!!

Graduation Day:

Jabari rang his freedom bell on his graduation day in July.  He came to the
center to gain the skills he needs to continue on at college in Georgia.
Not only is he fully prepared for this now, but he gained leadership skills
from being the student association president and enjoyed working with the
summer youth program.  He was well loved by his students.

When Jesse graduated his bell could be heard everywhere.  Jesse’s family
celebrated with all of us.  Jesse lost his vision when he was assaulted; he
had several surgeries and believed that he would never be happy again.  Now
he takes care of his home, loves to cook again and earned his ServeSafe
certificate in the area of food service.

Anna from the Ukraine was determined to come to us for training.  She has a
sparkle that always shines through.  She rang her bell of freedom for all of
the blind people in the Ukraine.  She plans to complete her degree and hopes
to study in the United States.

Dionne came back to us to complete her training.  She rang her bell for
herself, her husband, her daughter and all of us.  Dionne plans to look for
work in the area of customer service.  She encouraged other students
throughout her program.

Western Welcome Parade:

Once again this year the center participated in the annual Western Welcome
Parade.  This parade celebrates the western heritage of Littleton, Colorado.
Many businesses, schools and interested groups from Littleton march in this
parade.  We love doing this because how often do you get to walk down the
street and have hundreds of people clap for you!!

Getting Back to Nature:

Staff and students embarked on a camping/canoe trip in Horse Tooth Canyon
close to Fort Collins.  Several students had never camped before.  Everyone
learned how to pitch a tent, set up sleeping bags and cook meals outdoors.
We loved having time together and especially enjoyed a hike, swimming in the
lake and canoeing.  Even though we had a little rain everyone learned a lot
and enjoyed being outside.

Thank You:

We want to thank Cheryl and Dennis for their kind and generous donation of
their seven passenger van to us.  We use it all of the time and our seniors
especially enjoy riding in this vehicle.

Youth Program

It is hard to believe that the Colorado Centers’ summer programs have
already ended.  The graduation dinner and talent show was held on August
1st.  It was a very nice ceremony with the students and staff welcoming
families, summer employers and guests.  The students had prepared a meal for
150 people.  It is always a bitter-sweet evening.  It is wonderful to see
the growth in all of the students but it is hard to say good-bye to them.
After spending 8 weeks and becoming so close to each of the students, it is
hard to believe that the group of 24 students and 9 staff members will never
be all together in the same room again.  The students have come so far in
their skill level, their confidence, their independence and their belief in
themselves and that blindness has simply become a characteristic and not
what defines them.

We had students from 10 states including Arizona, Colorado, California,
Missouri, New Mexico, Florida, South Carolina, Massachusetts, Arkansas and
New Jersey.  We also were excited about working with our international
students.  We had a 15 year old from Thailand and three of our six middle
school students came to us from Mexico.  The families in Mexico are now
planning to form a parents group based on NFB philosophy with an emphasis on
how the Colorado Center has benefitted not only their children but their
families.

The students gained skills and confidence in the core classes of Braille,
cane travel, technology and home management but they also participated in
several challenge recreation activities.  These included rock climbing,
hiking, canoeing, martial arts, goal-ball, a city wide scavenger hunt,
skating, bowling and even attending the theatre to see a play.  The students
also attended the NFB’s national convention in Dallas which afforded them
the opportunity to travel in two airports and a very large convention hotel
(the Hilton Anatole) and meet people from all different walks of life and
learn about lots of new technology.  They also attended the NFB of Denver’s
annual picnic and they participated in all of the games including acting
like big kids playing in the bouncy castle.

Another fun and educational activity that they participated in was the 1st
Annual Summer Science Seminar.  Students were able to conduct various
scientific experiments, utilize accessible materials for many different
sciences and learn that blindness is not a barrier to success in science
classes.  The presenters included a chemistry student at Colorado
University, professors at Metropolitan State University in Denver and a
world renowned tactile artist and author Ann Cunningham who won a Dr. Jacob
Bolotin award at this years’ national convention of the National Federation
of the Blind.

The Earn & Learn high school students not only gained work experience this
summer but they learned skills of interviewing, networking and resume
writing.  Our students worked in several different locations all over the
Denver metro area and Boulder in many different capacities.  The jobs ranged
from receptionist at the Center and the South Metro Chamber of Commerce,
ushers at the Denver Center for Performing Arts for PHAMALY’s  production of
“Little Shop of Horrors”, food service at the Federal Center, technology
assistant at the Center, working with children at the Auraria Early Learning
Center and with young blind kids in the BELL program.  Two of our students
worked at the Right Step which is a therapeutic riding program where they
groomed and fed horses and even got to ride on their last day.  It was an
experience that they will never forget.  Another student worked with a
reporter from the Littleton Independent not only attending various meetings
and court hearings but also getting to write articles.

If you would like to receive information about year round programs for youth
and their families, please contact Brent Batron at the Center 303-778-1130 x
222 or by email bbatron at cocenter.org

Senior Program

Senior groups are available weekly.  For more information, please call
Duncan Larsen at 303-778-1130 extension 226.

Staff in the Spotlight

David Nietfeld loves teaching cane travel! This morning it was raining.  As
I walked to the front of the building after taking the bus, David appeared.
He did not take the bus today, but he walked all the way into the center in
the rain.  He loves exploring all areas, finding new and adventuresome
travel routes and teaching his students all about their surroundings during
travel class.  David is curious by nature and imparts this to his students.
He is calming while at the same time strong with his students.

David is from Arizona.  He graduated from the center and began working here
as our residential manager.  He has his National Orientation and Mobility
Certification.  Last year he married Maureen Hoban who also works at the
center.  David enjoys hiking, camping, rock climbing and loves his job!

Upcoming Events:

Learn what we are doing at the Colorado Center for the Blind!

The staff and students would like to invite you to attend our Open House: