[Nfb-greeley] The day at the capital

Christopher Schulte cschulte08 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 00:29:01 UTC 2013

Today, february 27, 2013, was the NFB of Colorado's day at the capital.
As a member of the Greeley chapter, and someone who was lucky enough to
be able to attend because I am currently at the Colorado Center For The
Blind, I was actually able to speak to a couple of legislators that
represented Weld County. Representative Dave Young, and Senator Greg
Brophy. The representatives were all in session, so we left information
with their staff members. The senators that we met with were for the
most part, in their offices, and we were able to have dialogues with
them directly. We discussed accessible standardized testing for k-12
grade students, the continued funding for NFB news line, as well as
audio information network of Colorado, and the issue of the tremendous
lack of public transportation in rural parts of the state. One of the
representatives that we spoke with with, as well as one of the senators
were on their respective transportation committees, as well as one of
the representatives was on the education committee. All in all, it was
an extremely productive morning, and we got all of the issues across
that we were wanting to educate the legislators about. We were not
necessarily rejected by anyone, however, some legislators seemed a bit
less receptive then others. The bottom line is, we went to the capital,
and our voices were heard, and I was happy to be a part of it.
Chris Schulte