[Nfb-greeley] Nfbg minutes

melissa R green graduate56 at juno.com
Tue Jul 23 03:38:15 UTC 2013

marty is having some technical problems.
So here are the minutes attached and pasted in the message.

7/20/13

The meeting was called to order at 12:30 PM. Members present were Melissa,
Cody, Jessica, Linda, Diane, Bill, Rita, Nure and Dora. The minutes from the
last meeting were approved with the amendment of the change in amount from
$140 to $29 that we made during the Cafe Mexicalli fundraiser. Our treasury
currently has $393.38 after all withdrawals. Cody read an email from Joe
Stultz stating that he could no longer be active in our chapter. We then
discussed our time in Orlando. Each member that attended convention went
around and told us about what they learned, and some of the highlights of
the convention. We moved to the UNC Bizarre which has had its name changed
to the UNC Student Involvement Fair. The check for the $50 fee has been sent
and we will be setting up our table on August 25th at 11:00 AM on the south
side of Bishop Lair Hall. The fair runs from noon to 3:00 PM. We will also
be making a presentation that day as well. We can have as many people as we
want to staff our table. CODY, Diane and Melissa have already said that they
will be there on the 25th. We have decided that we will hand out candy with
our NFB literature and that members will donate money to reimburse Linda who
will go to Sams and get this candy for the fair. Melissa has put in an order
for NFB literature. The chapter picnic is on September 7th. We have reserved
the park, and will be distributing a flyer at our upcoming expo. The chapter
may cover some of the food. There may also be the possibility that the local
Lions Club may grill hot dogs and hamburgers for us; however, there has not
yet been any commitment from them to do this. It is possible that we may
have to submit a request to them for their help with barbecuing for the
picnic. JESSICA and Melissa talked with our local chapter of the Lions Club
this past Monday. They hold  meetings on the first and third  Monday of
every month at the Cattleman's Stake House in Greeley. The Lions talked
about  helping us with fundraising, doing a pancake breakfast for us and
helping us raise  money to get the Greeley Tribune on NFB Newsline. The Club
is doing a fundraiser which is a 5k walk and run next weekend that perhaps
some of our members may wish to attend. We will try to find out more info on
this later this week.  Jessica will put out the information from the flyer
for the 5k on the Greeley List. She stated that the registration fee for
this event is $25 and all of the money goes to the Lions Club. The fee is
$20 if you have an old pair of eyeglasses that you can donate to the club.
Regarding fundraising, we have sold all of our water bottles. Our second
Cafe Mexicalli fundraiser has been set up for August 9. The coupons have
been emailed to people, and we will put out an anouncement on the Colorado
Talk List. Cody will set up an event on facebook also and invite people.
Jessica asked if we are beginning to make candy bars for the expo. Diane
will look for bags later today at Walmart, and Bill has donated $10 to help
with buying chocolate. Jessica suggested that if we don't find bags, that we
use plane aluminum foil and freeze them in freezer bags. Diane also wants
to customize labels for the bars, and it was decided that we will charge $4
per bar. We can drop the price down to $3 if we find that they aren't
selling. Cody  asked who has a set  of molds. Melisssa has a set of molds,
Diane has a set, and Marty has three sets. WE moved to discussion of the
expo. Nure suggested that we have a  marshal to direct people to the second
floor of the university center. Diane said that there is construction the
first floor of the University Center that is not yet completed. We have
several craft items to sell at our craft table at the Expo. It was decided
that we would do a 50/50 raffle at the expo. We decided that we would
electronically take down names and phone numbers and then put them into an
Excel Spreadsheet at the end to be drawn electronically. It was also decided
that we can have people who want to buy raffle tickets come to the craft
table to get them. Diane will keep the Excel Spreadsheet containing the
raffle information. Linda said that she would withdraw the money from the
chapter account in order to make change for people who buy tickets and craft
items. We will put out a donation box as well. Jessica will give vacation
travel raffle tickets to Cody so that he can bring them up to the expo. We
moved to presentations for the expo. We will have presentations on travel
featuring the use of structured discovery as a travel technique,  Excel,
Powerpoint,  and i-devices. There will also be a presentation from Freedom
Scientific and a panel style presentation on advocacy. Jessica will email a
schedule of presentations to the Greeley list later tonight. The
presentations will be conducted throughout the day. Bill is going to have a
table with household gagets that people can use daily at home for those who
are wondering about how they will complete tasks of daily living with vision
loss. We will put together an agenda with times of the presentations and
blurbs from our venders, so everyone who has vendor info needs to send it to
Cody by Tuesday evening to be placed into the agenda.  This will also  help
'in the setup of tables. We talked about setting up one room of the two that
have beeaen reserved  for the expo lecture style and have the other room set
up with tables for exhibitors. We will know more this upcoming week about
the specific number of exhibitors we will have. Melissa asked about giving
out grab bags. It was suggested that we could have these bags at the table
where people enter. Melissa will call around to see if we can find a grocery
store that would be willing to donate plastic bags. We discussed getting the
press release that we have developed about the expo out to the  Greeley
Tribune, The fort Collins Coloradoan, The mirror at UNC and the AIMS
Community College paper. Cody will send the release to the Mirror and the
Tribune. Melissa will take care of the Coloradoan and will also see if we
can get a copy of the release into a paper at AIMS. Rita said that she would
distribute flyers around the city as well. As far as we are aware, we will
have access to the rooms at the UC at  8:00 AM on the morning of the expo.
Cody will check and see if we can get access to the rooms to set up tables
and chairs the day before. Jessica reminded  us that our state convention
will be coming up in October from the 17th through the 20th. Hotel rooms
must be reserved by September 10th. Pregegistration will be $15, for the two
lunches and $30 for the banquet. If you register at the door or after the
fourth of October, the price goes up to $20 for the lunches and $45 for the
banquet. Scott also wants all of us who can do so to send out an email
blast to help sell vacation  travel raffle tickets. Jessica suggested that
we do this as a chapter at our next meeting. We will find out if we have
wireless at the Senior Center and if we can use it, and if not, then Jessica
will see about getting her phone set up to be a wireless hotspot. The
meeting was adjourned at 2:05 PM.