[Nfb-greeley] NFBG meeting minutes for Aug. 24 and Sept. 7

melissa R green graduate56 at juno.com
Sun Sep 22 16:29:47 UTC 2013

good work marty.

Have a blesed day.
Best,
Melissa R Green and Pj
"We love because he first loved us."
Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/2473065-melissa-green
facebook Melissa R Green
Twitter: melissa5674

----- Original Message -----
From: Marty Rahn
Sent: Saturday, September 21, 2013 12:53 PM
Subject: [Nfb-greeley] NFBG meeting minutes for Aug. 24 and Sept. 7

Hello everyone,

Please find, pasted below, the meeting minutes from the last two meetings of
our chapter. Thank you.

8/24/13

The meeting was called to order at 12:25. People present were Cody, Nure,
Linda, Melissa, Marty, Diane and Bill. The minutes from last month were
approved as posted to the NFB of Greeley List. Treasurer's report said that
we made $29 from Cafe Mexicalli and $119 from the crafts and candy bars, $3
donation and $2 for the 50-50 raffle at the vision expo. We now have a total
of $588.38. There is about $56 outstanding from the water bottle sales that
Melissa and Jessica still have and need to get to the chapter. We recapped
the New Perspectives Expo. Nure suggested that we have our next expo at the
beginning of the school year around late August early September. Everyone
thought that overall, the expo went well. We received feedback from some of
the vendors that the fare ran a little too long, and that we needed to hold
the fare in another location so that  seniors were not intimidated by having
to come to the UNC campus. We discussed locations and the library was
brought up as a possible location. We also discussed changing the flyer so
that it might appeal to more people. We talked about how we wanted to
maintain our relationship with the Disabled Student Services Office at UNC.
We also discussed giving out door prizes to keep people hanging around. One
vendor suggested that the vendors could supply gift certificates since we
aren't charging them for table space. We discussed having door prizes the
next time and the possibility of charging vendors $25 or so to help defray
the cost of food so that UNC can then cater the event. Cody said that we
need to reach out and continue to network to make additional contacts within
the agencies and also to see about getting a PSA recorded for the local
radio stations. He also suggested advertising on Newsline, through The Audio
Information Network of Colorado and the local newspapers. Next we moved to
discussion of the UNC Bizarre. We have a table from 12:00-3:00 PM. Setup is
at 10:00 AM. DIANE, Nure and Cody will be there. Melissa may make it if she
can get a ride. Marty, Cody, Linda and Diane all donated money towards the
cost of purchasing candy for the bizarre. Our chapter will be having a
picnic on Saturday September 7th. We have the gizibo at Sanborn Park
reserved from 10:00-5:00. The picnic will be from 12:00-4:00 as advertised
on the flyer. We discussed barbecuing at the picnic but decided that this
might not be the best option. We talked about each of us bringing a side
dish or something to drink. We decided on King Soopers fried chicken and
some type of salad for the main course. We will order 50 pieces of chicken
and the chapter will pay for this. We will ask for RSVP's to see who is
planning to attend the picnic. So far, we have confirmed that Diane will
bring Potato chips, Cody will take care of dessert and plates and Linda will
bring some type of salad. Anyone who has not yet decided what they will
bring will need to send an email to Cody or the Greeley list with their
choice of side dish.  Cody will be in charge of organizing the food. We
talked about the travel raffle next. We have not currently sold enough
tickets to recover the cost of the travel vouture that the state has
purchased. Cody wants us to send the information about the raffle to
everyone we know via email, text message, facebook, etc. Those who would
like physical tickets need to give Cody their mailing addresses so that he
can make sure that the Center knows where to send tickets. The state
convention will be October 17-20 in Colorado Springs. Everyone needs to
think about whether or not they will be attending since assistance from the
state afiliate will need to be requested soon. We then discussed possible
activities that we would like to do for Meet The Blind Month. Melissa and
Cody will begin planning possible activities. The meeting was adjourned at
2:00 PM.

9/7/13

We had our chapter picnic today. We had a short meeting after everyone had
eaten and had gotten settled. The meeting began at around 1:30 PM. People
present were Diane, Linda, Melissa, Marty, Tonya, Cody's mom, Nure and Cody.
Cody asked   for ideas that we can implement during Meet The Blind month
which is coming up in October. most of the people present thought that we
didn't need to do anything extravagant and  that we should just set up a
table and hand out literature and  braille alphabet cards.  We decided to
try to coordinate with the disability office over  at Aims Community College
to see if there is an event coming up that they are sponsoring and if we can
set up a table at this event or if we can just set up a table on our own
with their support in the College Center. Possible days put forth that
people could come and help staff the table were Tuesdays, Wednesdays,
Thursdays or Fridays. Most people agreed that a Friday would work best. We
turned to the topic of how much money the chapter should give those members
who will be going to state convention. A brief Treasurer's report indicated
that we have about $85 outstanding including the $53 that Melissa still has
from the Cafe mexicalli fundraiser and the sale of some of the water bottles
at national convention, and the $32 that Jessica still has from the water
bottles that she sold. The purchase of the chicken and salads from king
soopers cost about $52. Linda wrote a check to reemburse Cody for this cost.
This brings our balance down to around $536. It was therefore decided after
a vote that we would give $40 to Melissa, Cody and Marty which totals out to
$120. Nure is also attending state, but he is being fully paid for by the
state afiliate since he is a scholarship winner. We all went back to eating
and socializing again around 2:15 which was when the meeting was adjourned.

Respectfully submitted,
Marty Rahn,
Secretary, National Federation of The Blind of Colorado, (Greeley Chapter)

Nfb-greeley:
http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nfb-greeley_nfbnet.org/graduate56%40juno.com