[Nfb-greeley] meeting minutes from 1-18-14

Marty Rahn marty.rahn at juno.com
Sat Feb 8 21:46:43 UTC 2014

Hi all,

Please find the meeting minutes from the last meeting below. Thanks.

1/18/14

The meeting was called to order at 12:20 PM. People present were Melissa, Marty, Cody, Linda, Bill, and Rita. Joe Goode was present as a guest. the December minutes were accepted as posted to the Greeley List. The treasurer's report says that we have a balance of $502.72 which doesn't include the deposit of $71 made on January 2nd. This was from candy bars sales. This gives us a total balance of $573.72. Linda doesn't think that the check for $50 we wrote to the state has gone through yet. Cody will check with the state to see about the check and will also check on getting the money from Jessica that she still owes us for the water bottles she sold. We have the account set up on Paypal, but it is not yet connected to our bank account. Linda had to receive a new debbit card for our checking account and has yet to enter this info into the Paforpal account. Re:  fundraising, Melissa said that to ship an order of candy bars out of state to New Mexico, it costed the chapter $18.92. To ship an order to Denver, it cost us about $13. We need to decide whether or not we want to purchase our own packing materials or whether to charge people more for the cos of shipping. It was also suggested that we check with the post office to see how much it would cost us to ship a package if it has already been packed. Cody asked if we wanted to set prices today so that we can  tell people how much shipping will be in addition to what we are charging per candy bar. Bill said that we could figure about $3 to ship each bar. We agreed to let people know that each bar will now cost $7 a bar. This includes $4 for the bar and $3 for the cost of shipping each bar. Melissa said that people were  asking if it was possible for us to make bars with other designs besides the molds we currently have. There was agreement that getting molds custom made might cost too much. We tabled this idea for now. We then moved to discussing a big fundraiser such as a dinner we could put on perhaps with the help of the local Lions Club. Cody feels that we want to put together an event which will allow us to target more people. He said that we should try to see if the district Govenor would help us out since our local club is so small. He will see if he can get contact info for the district govenor from Jessica or if Jessica wants to reach out and make the contact since she already knows this person. We also agreed that we need to have a backup plan in case we can't get help from the Lions Club. We need to start looking for a place to have our event and to plan  volunteers and ways to get food donated. There is consensus that this type of  fundraiser is doable. Cody suggested that we all think of and contact various places in the community to which we have connections in order to see if we can find a place to hold our dinner. He also suggested that we look into Noodles and Company to see if they might be willing   to donate food. Melissa suggested that we look at May and centering our dinner around Mother's Day which would be the 10th of May. Joe said that he had a couple coworkers who were good at fundraising and he will see what suggestions they may have. We agreed to begin trying to find a place and trying to contact the Lions. Some of the places that were suggested for members to call were churches, UNC, Bonelle, Greeley Place and the  city  libraries. The two dates we will look at in May are the 3rd and the 17th. Cody will check with the Lions Club and see about finding out other places we can contact. Melissa will call her church,  UNC, the libraries and UCCC. We then moved on to a discussion of the New Perspectives Expo and  whether we wish to do it again this year. There was agreement that we should try to have it around the mid to end of  August and try to see about doing it again at UNC. We can make sure that in our advertising, we gear it to all age groups as well as specify that it is for all types of people including those with low vision. Over the next s"everal minutes, many things were discussed including whether we may be taking on too much with both the fundraising dinner and the vision expo, and the fact that we wanted to continue the relationship with the Disability Services office at UNC. Cody will see if UNC is receptive to doing the fare again. We also have events coming up at AIMS such as the Disability Awareness Month and National White Cane Safety Day in October with which we will be helping. The day at the Capital will be on February 28th from 9:00-12:00 PM in Denver. The afiliate is willing to help cover transportation and hotel room costs. There is also an open board meeting that will be held that evening that all are welcome to attend. Among the legislative issues we will be working to susport are obtaining more money for Newsline and AINC, strengthening the braille  bill and supporting the antiddirimination against people with disabilities act. We then talked about the Iphone seminar and planning this for February. We discussed having our  seminar run for about 2 hours so that we can astract as many people as possible and get through as much info as possible. We will hold the seminar on February 15th from 1:00-3:00 PM. We will try to hold a brief chapter meeting before the seminar if everyone can arrive by noon, and then schedule a conference call some time the folllowing week to discuss any matters to which we don't get before the seminar begins. Cody will work on the flyer advertising the seminar and will try to get it to Melissa by Monday night. Melissa said that we got a thank you card from North Range Behavioral Health  thanking us for the donations from the chapter. Kristy also sent us a thank you note as well. The meeting was adjourned at 1:40 PM.

Respectfully submitted,

Marty Rahn, Secretary,

National federation of The Blind of Colorado, Greeley Chapter

Warm Regards,
Marty Rahn, Ma,
Teacherof Students with Visual Impairments
Weld Re-8, Re-3j, and Morgan Re-3
Home: 970-353-5067
Cell: 719-271-9496
Email: marty.rahn at juno.com