[NFB-Hams] Question

Travis Siegel tsiegel at softcon.com
Sun Jul 11 01:33:42 UTC 2021

NLS won't help me.  I lost my access to NLS many years ago, and despite
my attempts to get it back, (My doctor seems to loose the form every
time I send it to them), I'm still without NLS access. I was very
disappointed when they discontinued webbraille, because I still had
access to that, even though they weren't recognizing me on any other
fronts. <sigh>

On the other hand, I did use bookshare when they were relatively new.  I
even brokered a deal where I could give them quite a few collections of
books from a particular science fiction publisher. At the time,
uploading of multiple books wasn't permitted, but the site did say if
you have lots of books to upload, then you could contact them, and
they'd work out something.  Their solution was to have me continue using
the process of uploading a single book at a time.

Needless to say, I bailed on that project too, uploading hundreds of
books one at a time would have been unreasonable by anybody's standards.

I did see several years ago though, that someone else negotiated the
same upload permissions, only that time, bookshare actually took an
active hand in making it happen, so now that publisher does have all of
their books on the platform.  But, as a result of that experience, I no
longer support or use bookshare either.

If it's available in another resale outlet, I'd be happy to purchase a
copy for myself.  I'll go check various places now, and see if I can
find it.

Thanks for the pointer, though this is hardly a comprehensive guide to
how to obtain a license.

At least it's a start.