[Nfb-hi] Follow NFB on Twitter

pinkhawaii at gmail.com pinkhawaii at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 20:23:20 UTC 2009

Dear Chris. I am only blind for 7 years, now age 75. What are the advantages
of learning Braille if you are elderly? Can you still learn it with
arthritis and neuropathy? I understand that 90% of us legally blind can see
a little in different ways. Since only less than 10% of ALL LEGALLY BLIND
know Braille. What could my young blind family friends do with Braille if
they learn it? Would they and also the elderly be better of, learning the
Internet and typing to communicate with all blind and seeing alike? Most
blind can hear. Zoom Text and Jaws can read aloud all our communications. We
can even communicate with the deaf, since they can see our writings. So
would free high speed Internet for ALL deaf and blind persons not be better
for our education and communication with ALL??? Is it not easier to get a
job in communication and data entry etc.? Would free high speed Internet not
be better for ALL the MANY lonely housebound blind, deaf, handicapped and
elderly? Could not the few deaf or blind persons, now using Braille and
American Sign Language, ALL join the whole community without isolation for
communication and education? Could we not get better paying jobs by working
at home and save expensive gas and mileage with free high speed Internet
access??? We could even teach on the Internet with voice, sight, camera and
writing! We could ride the present wave of the future. We could even save
the very high cost of the "free" Video Relay Services at $7.- per single
minute, paid by the taxpayers. Message centers could relay computer messages
to persons without computers. American Sign Language could than be
transmitted over the Internet with cheap web cams directly from person to
person. Computers could also translate Braille into voice and print. The
technique is here, we only need to implement it and save tons of money! Let
the WHOLE WORLD communicate with our now so isolated handicapped.
by Dr. Heinz-Guenther Pink
Advocate and program evaluator for the blind, deaf and handicapped.
Member: NFB Communication Council
and ATRC Advisory Council of the State
Member of Senator Chun Oakland's Deaf-Blind Task Force.
Founder: Computer College of Hawaii since 1963,     pinkhawaii at gmail.com
410 Magellan Ave. Apt.1002, Honolulu, HI. 96813 ,   Tel 808: 537-1875