[Nfb-hi] update on bills - action requested

R White rwhite.zis at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 07:33:58 UTC 2011

Aloha, All! ;)

Please delete my previous message. Virgil e-mailed how important it is
to attend Thursday's hearing for SB893 SD1. Also, I found the links to
submit testimony specifically for these bills. Finally, I was
switching through several accounts to gather info & sent it from the
wrong one. So, please delete my last msg & use this one
instead--Thanks! ;)

Because of everyone's hard work, several of the bills we've been
watching are moving through the legislative process--Thanks! ;)

First, the service animal bills (SB892 SD1 & HB601 HD1) will be heard
tomorrow & Thursday in the Senate & House. Here are links to the
hearing notices for dates, times, locations, the full names of the
committees for your testimony, links to the current wording of the
bills, etc.

SB892 SD1 hearing info:

http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/session2011/hearingnotices/HEARING_JDL_02-23-11_.HTM

submit testimony for SB892 SD1:

http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/emailtestimony/?measure=SB892

HB601 HD1 hearing info:

http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/session2011/hearingnotices/HEARING_JUD_02-24-11_.HTM

submit testimony for HB601 HD1:

http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/emailtestimony/?measure=HB601

Second, SB893 SD1 will be heard on Thursday. The notice (see link
below) says it will be only decision-making, so it's important
(whether or not you can attend) to get your written testimony in by
4pm on Wednesday (see link below to submit testimony).

Unfortunately, we hit a snag after the last hearing, so please be sure
to say you support SB893 SD1 with amendments. The change is to replace
the Department of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR) Blind Services with
the Disability Communication Access Board (DCAB) wherever it appears
in the wording of the bill. And don't forget to share how Newsline
helps you. ;)

We don't have a House companion bill, so we have to make sure this one
gets to crossover. Please submit testimony &, if you can, attend the
hearing--Thanks! ;)

SB893 SD1 hearing info:

http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/session2011/hearingnotices/HEARING_WAM_02-24-11_DM_.HTM

submit testimony for SB893 SD1:

http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/emailtestimony/?measure=SB893

Finally, has anyone heard what happened to the Ho`opono maintenance bills?

Thanks, again! ;)

Sincerely,

Ronalene White
VP, Anuenue Chapter
National Federation of the Blind of Hawai`i
---
There's a literacy crisis among the blind in America!
You can be part of the solution. Visit:
http://braille.org
to learn about the problem & how YOU can help.