[Nfb-hi] FW: At last! The Apple App for Bookshare!!!

Milton Ota mota at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Jul 27 20:19:21 UTC 2011

> Finally! The new digital book reader app from Bookshare!
>
> Read2Go, (we sign Apple application or Apple and fingerspell a-p-p) the
new accessible e-reader app for the Apple iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch is
now ready for purchase at the Apple App Store! The Apple hardware must have
iOS 4.0 or later. It works with both iPad 1 and 2, if the iPad software is
up to date. It also works with the iPhone 3GS if the software up to date.

> Read2Go allows readers with print disabilities to access books on their
favorite Apple products with powerful features:

> *  High quality text-to-speech voices (if you turn on voice)
> *  See and hear words read as they are highlighted (if you turn this
> on)
> *  Adjust reading speed, font size, highlight and background colors. This
is major feature for Bookshare Large Print readers. In the Settings Menu,
there are settings for text. You can try different ones to see what you
like. You can bring the font size up to size 70 points. There is only one
font, but it's a nice sans serif font, similar to Arial. There are many
colors to choose from for background, text, highlighting, and bookmarks. You
can change these depending on the lighting, eye strain, or the many
environmental factors that change your ease of reading print. You don't have
to go through the Daisy files like on your computer. Just find book, click
Download, then click Read Book and there it will be in your font and color
choices! Next time you open book, it will be in same settings you left it.
You can use "bookmark page" to go back and find things. It will even
remember where you stopped reading.  Next time you open the  book, it opens
where you stopped previously. There is a starter Help file to learn the
program. It's pretty easy. Now even large print readers can take BKS books
away from their computer!
> * Connect and read with many Braille displays via bluetooth (not all, be
careful). This is nice with iPhone or iPad and bluetoothed braille display:
read BKS books esp with a mini display, or with a big one, your choice. The
iPhone/iPad does bluetooth to the Apex, although you can just get BKS
directly in braille on your Apex (through computer-HumanWare has a bug they
are fixing).
> * You can even use this app if you're not a member of Bookshare. You can
get thousands books that are in the public domain. You can get the same
books free from many places, but the Apple App for BKS (called Read2Go) lets
you use braille or large print with colors, etc., or audio.  If you are
already a BKS member, or become one, use your BKS  login name and password
(on the Settings page). When you open the app, it will go directly to BKS.
After you log in you can search for books and download them. When you click
on "Read Book" it will unzip and be ready to read. Your books will show on
an App page called Bookshelf.

> You can become a Bookshare member by going to the website
www.bookshare.org. Bookshare now has over 120,000 books! All are available
in audio, text for large print, and braille ready formats. There are current
bestsellers, the deafness and deaf-blind collection, thousands of mysteries,
award winners, science, religion, cooking, all kinds of fiction and
non-fiction books. Many of these books are out of print now and we have
them!

> A hint from Liz: If you are already a BKS member when you get this app,
FIRST go to the Settings menu and enter in your Bookshare info. Then you
will have full search open. If you don't set that first, you only find the
books for public download.