[Nfb-hi] NFBH in Senator Mazie Hirono's Newsletter

Justin Salisbury PRESIDENT at alumni.ecu.edu
Thu Feb 8 08:03:10 UTC 2018

Aloha, my Federation Ohana,

I was at a meeting tonight with the exiting Attorney General and new Lieutenant Governor, and a friend of mine approached me to say he’d read about us in a newsletter from Senator Mazie Hirono. He forwarded it to me so that I could share it with everyone.

We are item number 4. She even published the picture we took with her.

1. Senator Hirono on State of the Union: Tonight We Got Teleprompter Trump

Following the President’s State of the Union address, Senator Hirono denounced the his attempts to show unity after spending the past year attacking those who don’t agree with him.

From TIME Magazine:<http://time.com/5126288/state-union-donald-trump-democrats/>

“Democrats weren’t buying it. ‘I would be pleasantly surprised if he changed and became a compassionate, caring human being,’ Hirono said archly. ‘Maybe he tried to be tonight, but he’s spent an entire year being not compassionate, not caring — trying to get rid of the Affordable Care Act and being proud of it, attacking Muslims, attacking immigrants.’”

2. Senator Hirono Discusses Congressional Gold Medal with Filipino Ambassador

Senator Hirono met with Filipino Ambassador to the United States Jose Romualdez on Thursday. The Senator and the Ambassador discussed her successful bill, which was signed into law by President Obama, to honor the Filipino World War II veterans with the Congressional Gold Medal, and upcoming plans to recognize veterans in the Philippines.

[IMG_4415_printed]

3. Senator Hirono Leads Effort to Recognize Fred Korematsu

Senators Hirono and Tammy Duckworth (D-Ill.) led a resolution recognizing Fred Korematsu for his opposition to the illegal incarceration of Japanese Americans during World War II and work to advance civil rights. The resolution recognizes January 30 as “Fred Korematsu Day of Civil Liberties and the Constitution” and denounces any effort to discriminate against communities based on national origin or religion.

“Fred Korematsu stood up for the rights of nearly 120,000 Japanese Americans incarcerated during World War II, and continued to fight for decades to expand civil rights and overturn his own false criminal conviction,” said Senator Hirono. “As we recognize Fred Korematsu Day on what would have been his 99th birthday, Fred’s life serves as a reminder that we all have a responsibility to defend justice and equality.”

Click here to read more from the Honolulu Star-Advertiser.<http://www.staradvertiser.com/2018/01/30/breaking-news/hirono-leads-resolution-to-recognize-fred-korematsu/>

4. National Federation of the Blind Members Visit Washington, D.C.

Senator Hirono met with Hawaii representatives from the National Federation of the Blind who were visiting Washington, D.C. for an annual conference. The Senator discussed her support of bills that improve access to educational and accessibility materials.

[IMG_4392_printed]

5. Senator Hirono Continues Advocacy to Protect Sea Grant College Program

Ahead of the Trump administration’s Fiscal Year 2019 budget proposal, Senators Hirono and Chris Murphy (D-Conn.) urged the President to fund the National Sea Grant College Program at no less than current levels. In a letter to President Trump, the Senators highlighted the important role Sea Grant Programs play in boosting local economies and preserving coastal communities.

In 2015, Hawaii Sea Grant activities resulted in the restoration of 426 acres of coastal habitat, the use of ecosystem-based approaches by 130 resources managers, 37 communities implementing sustainable development practices and policies, and 70 trainings to improve coastal community resilience. Hawaii Sea Grant created or sustained 46 jobs, leveraged $4 million, educated over 140,000 K-12 students, and supported over 70 undergraduate and graduate students combined.

“Sea Grant is vital to local businesses and an important part of preserving coastal communities for generations to come,” wrote the Senators. “Sea Grant’s work supporting waterfront and maritime businesses speaks for itself. The federal investment in Sea Grant centers yields $611 million in economic benefit, an 825% return on federal investment. We encourage you to provide robust support for the program in your final Fiscal Year 2019 budget.”

Click here to read the letter.<https://www.hirono.senate.gov/news/press-releases/hirono-continues-advocacy-to-protect-sea-grant-college-program>