[Nfb-idaho] Blind Parents?

Joann Grimmett momgrimmett at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 2 23:01:38 UTC 2010

We know about the Parents of blind children affiliation...We are wondering about one for blind parents raising children to exchange thoughts...
Mike you are probably more than correct, but there are those who may feel like they don't know what they are doing and looking for tips on how to handle certain situations--
Preferrably from blind peers instead of sighted folks like myself who may do things differently using their vision instead of good blind techniques.
I have seen a lot of sighted parents who struggled with what is normal and what needs special attention. Why should a blind parent be any different than a sighted one? Why shouldn't they have access to someone else who uses alternative techniques to care for a baby.
Also, it might be nice for blind parents to have that network of other blind parents to help advocate when they run into those discriminatory situations that often get dumped on new parents...Especially, when they are faced with discrimination in hospital and medical settings simply because they are blind. I have read hospital records that indicte that unless Grandma was there the family would be held there and Health and Welfare brought in because the parents were blind.
Yes, having access to the NFB in general is good but having other blind parents on track with you may just be an additional advantage for those who desire to be good parents.
Joann Grimmett
Mother of Marian
Grandmother of Heather and Eric
Also lots of other kids and grandkids.....