[Nfb-idaho] Brett Windchester my memories of.

Bill Morgan billmorgan124 at cableone.net
Fri Oct 1 05:35:23 UTC 2010

I met Brett and Marie shortly after moving here to Boise from the Bend Oregon area in 1982.
At that time Brett was working for I believe A.T.T here in downtown Boise.
Marie was just getting started working in the banking industry if I am correct.

I remember so well when Brett would come in to the Cafeteria down stairs in the Blind Commission almost daily dressed up in his suit and tie carrying his brief-case everywhere he would go.

After several months of Brett coming in all dressed up with no place to go, I asked him to sit down with me and have a cup of coffee with me.
Of course Brett didn't drink coffee, he was a big tea guy.

We had sat and talked many times over the months after he was laid off at A.T.T.
We hit it off for some strange reason.
Brett as we all know was the huge brain that happened to be carried around by this guy named Brett Winchester!

I had heard a few days before that the guy who was working in the radio reading room was gone, and they were looking for a replacement.
That day when we sat down to talk, I told Brett what I had just heard about that job, and that it was now open.
Brett didn't think he wanted to do that, but I said to him. "Brett, why not go upstairs and ask about it?"
Aren't you really tired of getting all dressed up, and having no place to take your brief-case?"

Brett then told me "Alright, I'll go upstairs and see what it is about, but I don't know if I want to do that?"

The rest is history, as we know. Not only did Brett take the job, what a job he did with that job. Not just radio reading of the local newspaper and all the adds, but all the tapes of books for blind students he got volunteers to read.
He also got Braille produced long before we had a Braille Embosser.
There was so much Brett did behind the seen, most of us will never have any idea what a asset he was working out of that back hallway.

I will never forget his sense of humor, and his intellect, and mastery of so many different tecknowledages.

We had many many conversations back there in his office.

Of course always ready and willing to do anything he could was Brett's faithful quiet helper always there no matter what, was Don.

Brett thank you, you helped so many blind people in the state of Idaho, and never said a word about it.

Brett and Marie were also very long term faithful and very active outstanding members of the National Federation of the Blind here in Boise.

Thank you Marie for all those many hours you put in behind the wheel getting people where they needed to go.

I will miss Brett greatly! As I sit here writing I can't help think that Brett and Becky were the first two people teaching me about what a thing was called "A computer."

Thanks again Brett.

Bill Morgan