[Nfb-idaho] Bill's letter to Governor Otter

Bill Morgan billmorgan124 at cableone.net
Fri Oct 29 20:53:10 UTC 2010

I thought this letter may be helpful for some who are stuck on what they think they want to say in there letter to Governor Otter.
Just be yourself, and speak like I did to your own known experiences.
I don't think its a good idea to write any letter more then one page.
Here is my letter below this line......

Date: 10-25-10.

Dear Governor Otter.

My name is Bill Morgan, and I have been blind for fifty-five years now, from Rettinitis Pigmentosa, and both parents were blind as well.

I am also the Same Bill Morgan that was the first and only blind person to walk across America from Astoria Oregon to Baltimore Md. following the Oregon Trail and the Lewis/Clark trails. Meeting President Regen in the Oval Office on 10-23-83.

I was walking to raise awareness and to educate the sighted that the blind could do much more then the sighted think we can.

I am writing today for the same reason one more time.

Governor Otter its has come to the attention of the blind of Idaho that the ICBVI receives the lowest split between VR and ICBVI in the nation. The closest split is Delaware at fifth teen percent.

We are at twelve percent.

We are asking for sixteen percent of the VR split.  Head of VR refuses to do anything about this. Its now up to you.

The added services of four percent of which the ICBVI does have matching state dollars for never gets a shot at it, because the unused moneys get sent back to DC without giving ICBVI a chance to match some of the unused funding.

For example, a new laptop computer with a Braille keyboard, Braille reading bar, and speech output, plus now instead of having to use a regular keyboard to use a computer, with one of these the software just came out so that the computer can be run through the use of a Braille keyboard on the laptop, and using Braille code to run the computer windows programs.

These units can cost $3500 and more. Where can blind students, and other blind people come up with this kind of money for tools, training, and education that will make the difference of a possible full life, or sitting at home for the rest of there lives because they couldn't afford the tools to make the difference.

I have been employed in the Business Enterprise Program for the blind of Idaho for twenty-four years now. Instead of unemployed for twenty-four years. I can buy what I need, because I was able to receive the training, tools, and whatever else I needed to get me started.

Respectfully, Bill Morgan

9739 Pima dr

Boise, Id 83704

tee