[Nfb-idaho] this is my email FW: eliminate section 14c of the Fair Labor Standards Act

Dana Ard Danalynard at q.com
Tue Jul 14 20:59:26 UTC 2015

From: Dana Ard [mailto:Danalynard at q.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 14, 2015 2:58 PM
To: 'IntegratedCompetitiveEmployment at dol.gov'
Subject: eliminate section 14c of the Fair Labor Standards Act

My name is Dana Ard and I am the president of the National Federation of the
Blind of Idaho. I want section 14c of the Fair Labor Standards act
eliminated. There Aare options for employment such as supported employment
which make paying subminimum wages antiquated and degrading. I worked for 36
years as a vocational rehabilitation counselor. In the VR program, we are
not allowed to place someone in a place where subminimum wages are paid.
This is because these wages are not a "working wage." I had a client who got
a job working in an enclave at the AARC, where he received subminimum wages.
He was demoralized and embarrassed because he knew that this wage was not
the norm. He received these wages because he was not allowed to  exclusively
perform the tasks that he could do at a competitive rate. Paying subminimum
wages in 2015 is wrong and must be changed.

If you wish to contact me I can be reached at danalynard at q.com, phone 208
345-3906, 1320 E Washington St, Boise, Idaho 83712