[Nfb-idaho] President's Message for September

Dana Ard Danalynard at q.com
Thu Oct 1 03:34:03 UTC 2015

Greetings, Federation friends. I first want to let everyone know of two very
important events, which you need to calendar and plan to attend. The first
is our legislative luncheon which will be held on January 18, from
11:30-1:00 at the Crystal Ballroom, 8th and Bannock in Boise. Since we did
not have a legislative event last year, we will have many freshmen
legislators to invite and educate about the NFB of Idaho. Even our
experienced legislators need to hear about our accomplishments as we work to
improve the lives of the blind in our state. We all need to contact our
senators and representatives and give them a personal invite. Invitations
will be sent, but nothing speaks more than a personal invite from a
constituent. I will be contacting ICBVI, IESDB, and the Commission for
Libraries to see if there are legislative items that need our support. Our
Winter board meeting will also take place on January 18.  The second event
to plan for is our state convention, which will be held April 22-24 at the
Red Lion Hotel in Lewiston. Room rates are $89.00 for singles, doubles,
triples, and quads. The phone number is 208 799-1000, address 621 21st St.,
Lewiston, Idaho 83501.When you make your reservations, be sure to let them
know you are with the NFB of Idaho and that you want the special rate.

I attended two meetings concerning transportation this month. After
listening to legislators speaking at the South Idaho Chambers of Commerce
meeting, I believe that increased state funding for public transportation
will not be possible this year. Adequate funding for repair of roads and
bridges continues to be a major concern. Despite this problem, individual
communities are using innovative strategies to improve transportation in
their local areas. If your community is one of those making progress, please
let me know. I would like to have a transportation presentation as part of
our convention.

Our Fall board meeting was filled with energy and enthusiasm, and much was
accomplished.  Unfortunately, Tim Paulding resigned from the board  due to
work and family obligations. He will continue to work  with Russell Smith to
build the Panhandle chapter, and I am grateful for this. Keven Pirnie has
been appointed to complete Tim's board term.  The board voted to give three
scholarships for 2016, $1000,$1500, and $2500. Mike Gibson and Russell Smith
will co-chair the scholarship committee. The other committee members are
Susan Ford, Sandy Streeter and Chris Jones. Vicky Bateman, who is the past
chair, will serve as a committee advisor. I have received several calls from
people who have found us on our website. This is proof that the hard work of
Kevin Pirnie and the committee is paying off. The fundraising committee has
developed a fee schedule for convention adds and sponsorships that should
allow all of us the ability to raise funds. Larry and Sue Sebranek have
offered to match convention donations, pledges, and funds raised at our
auction up to $5000. Their generosity will give us extra incentive to work
hard and build our resources so we can continue to do the programs that make
this organization great.

Al Schneider, our newsletter editor, is working hard and we should have a
newsletter out by the end of October. Al has lots of innovative ideas, and I
believe he will carry the publication to new heights.

During October, Ramona Walhof and I will visit the Snake River Valley
chapter and probably meet with some blind people in the Pocatello area. I
will also be attending the Nonprofit Council meeting of the Boise Chamber of
Commerce, as well as the Chamber's transportation committee. I'm looking
forward to a busy month working as your NFBI president.