[Nfb-idaho] President's message for may

Dana Ard Danalynard at q.com
Tue May 23 14:41:16 UTC 2017

Attached and pasted in this email is my message for May.

President's Update

May 2017

I find it amazing to think that we were beginning our 2017 state convention
exactly 2 months ago today. The convention broke all recent attendance
records for registration, board meeting attendance, and attendance at the
banquet. We all enjoyed getting to know our national president, Mark
Riccobono, and his banquet speech helped us understand his blindness
journey, and gave much food for thought.   I want to thank everyone for
their participation. There will be a recap of the convention in the
Spring/Summer newsletter.

Our 2018 convention will be held at the Red Lion in Twin Falls, April 26-28.
Room rates will be $81.00. A full breakfast will be included. I appreciate
the work of Judy Jones who researched locations and dates and worked with
the Red Lion to get this excellent rate. I will be looking for good
convention program ideas. The time to start planning is now. We will keep a
similar schedule to our 2017 convention.

Thanks to the work of Ramona Walhof, we received a $16,000 grant to help
people who are either first time attendees, or haven't attended a national
convention in a long time, to go to convention. This is the best way to help
members understand the broad scope and impact of our organization. There are
20 people attending with the grant, and I know of 6 other members attending.
Idaho has not sent such a large delegation in years. We have a Jernigan
scholarship winner, Megan Geisler. We have had a Jernigan scholarship winner
for the past three years, so it pays to apply.

I, along with other NFB members, will be helping at a resource fair for the
ICBVI college days in mid-June. I will also be doing a Toastmasters class
for SWEP students this summer as well, and teaching in our BELL program in
Boise.

Our benefit concert will be held on October 15, a great way to celebrate
White Cane Safety Day! I am considering having our fall board meeting that
weekend, which would help ensure more statewide participation in the
concert, which is a state rather than a chapter fundraiser.

Speaking of fundraisers, Treasure Valley Chapter, under the direction of Al
Schneider, just concluded the 2017 Cycle for Independence, on Saturday May
20. Both our sponsors and our ridership were up considerably. Thanks to the
hard work of Al and everyone who participated. I rode 25 miles. The weather
was beautiful and I had a great time!

I'm heading to California this weekend to visit friends. I will return on
June 7. If you have a situation that cannot wait until I return, please call
me on my cell phone. Enjoy the rest of spring. I think it's finally really
here!

Dana Ard, President

National Federation of the Blind of Idaho

Phone 208 345-3906

Cell Phone 208 859-2828

Email danalynard at q.com