[Nfb-idaho] supporting the Talking Book Service Enhancement Request

Dana Ard Danalynard at q.com
Fri Oct 6 21:47:02 UTC 2017

Two weeks ago, I met with Sue Walker and Ann Goslin, who is the state
librarian, to talk about  the Talking Book Service Enhancement Request. In
summary the Idaho talking book program had been funded by the nstate of
Idaho until FY2010, when all agencies were given an 18% holdback of funds.
At that time, the Talking Book Program funding was moved to the federal
Library Service and Technology Act (LISTA)where it currently remains. The
Talking Book Service Enhancement Request asks the governor to reinstate
funding for the Talking Book Program, at $356,400. Both Sue and Ann would
appreciate a few letters sent to Governor Otter asking him to approve this
request. The points which should be addressed include what talking book
services mean to you as a blind person: the importance of a partnership
between the National Library Services and the Idaho Talking Book Program,
and the concern that the federal LISTA funds will be totally eliminated if
the Institute of Museum and Library Services and all its funding, are struck
from the federal 2018 budget. I will attach the Talking Book Program
Enhancement Request, which you need to read before writing the letter. I
will also attach my letter to our governor, which you can use as a guide.
This will be the major focus of our legislative luncheon in January, but if
the governor does not approve the request, it is unlikely that the
legislature will either. Please email or call me with any questions. My
phone number is 208 345-3906.

Dana Ard, President