[Nfb-idaho] please respond if you have opinions. Thanks FW: "Idaho stop" law

Dana Ard Danalynard at q.com
Thu Oct 26 01:47:14 UTC 2017

From: Walt Seifert [mailto:bikeguy at surewest.net]
Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2017 3:58 PM
To: danalynard at q.com
Subject: "Idaho stop" law

President Aard,

Do you know if the "Idaho stop" law has created any particular or serious
problems for the blind and visually impaired in Idaho?

The Idaho law, in place since 1985, based on everything I've read, has not
resulted in safety problems.  I've noted that your Federation has a fund
raising ride and found an Idaho Statesman article about a legally blind
cyclist in Boise who seemingly is doing well, though restricting his
bicycling to an off-street trail.  The article also mentioned a husband/wife
tandem team and how the wife, who is blind, enjoys riding.

Here's the reason I'm asking.  California has introduced a bill to allow
part of the Idaho law in California.  As in Idaho, it would allow bicyclists
to treat stop signs as yield signs, but would not allow bicyclists to treat
red traffic signals as stop signs.  Bicyclists would be required to slow to
a reasonable speed, yield to other traffic and cautiously proceed without
stopping if safe to do so.

I'm a bicycle advocate who supports the California bill for a variety of
reasons, not the least of which is that current law requiring a complete
stop by bicyclists makes illegal a very common behavior that causes no harm.

Some in the blind/visually impaired community in California have opposed the
bill.  A California Council for the Blind letter said reforming the law
would "severely compromise our ability to continue to lead independent lives
without fear of injury or death."  At a hearing on the bill, blind people
testified about collisions and close calls with bicyclists.

I understand the concerns, but the potential new law would still require
bicyclists to yield to pedestrians and other traffic.  Blowing through
intersections would remain illegal.

It's my belief that changing the law would, to the extent that the law would
increase the number of trips made by bike, also increase the safety of all
road users, including pedestrians, at intersections and elsewhere.
Pedestrians would particularly benefit since they are disproportionately the
victim in vehicle collisions.  It could also induce some cyclists to ride on
streets instead of sidewalks where collisions with pedestrians are most
likely.

I hope you can advise on what the experience in Idaho has been or suggest
where more information might be available.

Thanks,

Walt Seifert
Sacramento Trailnet
PO Box 19463