[NFB-Idaho] Sandy Streeter Interview

Sean Malone shaldarr01 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 13:28:53 UTC 2018

This is from an interview given yesterday on BYU Idaho radio by Snake River Valley Chapter President Sandy Streeter.

Hope you enjoy!

National White Cane Awareness Day

October 15, 2018
Writer: Katie Eldredge & Brandon Isle
The National Federation of the Blind celebrates White Cane Awareness Day every Oct. 15.
According to the National Federation of the Blind website, a white cane is critical for the blind because it's the tool that gives them the ability to live a full and independent life. It's what allows them to move freely and safely from location to location.
Activities on White Cane Awareness Day include cane walks, film screenings and social events.
It's also a day when the general public can get to know more about the blind and their use of white canes.
"We would like the public to just recognize that blind people are ordinary people, we just happen to be blind," said Sandy Streeter, president of the Snake River Valley Chapter of the National Federation of the Blind of Idaho.

Streeter told BYU-Idaho Radio the Snake River Valley Chapter recently held it's banquet where Ammon Mayor Sean Coletti spoke, a representative from the city of Idaho Falls read a proclamation about White Cane Awareness Day and members of the media and businesses came out to support and learn more about the blind in the community.
"We're just really pleased and feel very blessed that we had such a great turnout and so much support," she said.
To learn more about White Cane Awareness Day and the National Federation of the Blind, click here.

Sent from my iPhone