[NFB-Idaho] It’s Time for NFB of Idaho Members to Get Out and Go!

Erin A. Olsen eolsen at pckeys.com
Tue Aug 13 01:12:41 UTC 2019

It’s Time for NFB of Idaho Members to Get Out and Go!
Part of the philosophy of the NFB and living the life we want, is to get out from our homes and experience the world. In order to do so, we thought it would be helpful to have a few organized outings. Why bother? The reasons are simple:

  1.  Some blind people are not comfortable going out to do activities on their own and it helps to provide support from other capable blind people
  2.  We need to investigate new things in order to keep our minds and our bodies healthy
  3.  We want to demonstrate to the public that we are capable of functioning in the world, and this includes participating in activities others might think is not possible for us to do
  4.  Everyone needs to just get out and have fun, and sometimes we need a little encouragement to do so
With all of that said, the Treasure Valley chapter started a list of possible activities. This was an open brainstorming list, where anyone could recommend anything. Now comes the time to consider these options and make some decisions on what we’d like to do.

Other chapters, please feel free to use the generic items in the list to build your own list of activities and get your chapter out and active! Be sure to let us know what you’re doing and even include pictures we can post o our social media sites!

Please consider the list and identify what your top four choices would be. Please DO NOT worry about logistics. Once we decide what we want to do, we will figure out how we will get it done.

Please select FOUR of your top choices and send them back to Erin Olsen (eolsen at pckeys.com<mailto:eolsen at pckeys.com>) by August 19th so the votes can be compiled before our next meeting. DO NOT reply to the list serv. Send an e-mail directly to Erin. If you include the actual list number and item as it appears in the list, it will be helpful.

  1.  Tour of the Albertson’s marketplace store
An insider’s tour of the marketplace and how it runs
  2.  Christmas at the cathedral (Cathedral of the rockies)
Christmas concert, several dates/times to choose from
  3.  Music Week Performance
Spring 2020. Need to wait for exact performance info.
  4.  Walk/hike in the Foothills (Camel’s Back or Table Rock etc.)
  5.  Indulge Boise Food Tour
Probably a Saturday late morning with a bunch of food stops at local restaurants
  6.  Walk Along the Greenbelt with a picnic
  7.  Swim Party at Ramona’s House
Ramona offered the pool, we just need to provide the people and food
  8.  Walk through Julia Davis Park with a docent guide (history, agriculture, statuary etc.)
  9.  Music in the park
This would be one of their scheduled concerts on the grass at Julia davis
  10. Jump building tour
  11. Open dinner for Blind
  12. Card and board games
Specifics TBD, but some combination of card, traditional board and trivia-type games
  13. Attend or watch a game (basketball, football, hockey,)
  14. Boise State choir concert
We wil identify a concert that appeals to a majority of people, it might be their Christmas concert
  15. Tie dy making
  16. Bowling
  17. Golf
We will identify a course that has or will allow an instructor who can teach non-visually
  18. Miniature Golf
  19. Movie night (at someone’s home)
We will select a movie or streaming service with descriptive audio
  20. Movie night (at a theatre)
We will select a movie with descriptive audio
  21. Visit to the Animal Farm – Idaho Reptile Zoo
Attended by BELL and a lot of fun

Erin A. Olsen, Treasurer
National Federation of the Blind of Idaho
Visit us on Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/NationalFederationoftheBlindofIdaho/>
View our website (nfbidaho.org)<http://www.nfbidaho.org/>
208.331.3123 (mobile)
eolsen at pckeys.com<mailto:eolsen at pckeys.com>

Be a B.L.U.R.: Beyond Living Under Restriction
“Live the Life You Want”