[NFB-Idaho] ScriptTalk Information

Erin A. Olsen eolsen at pckeys.com
Tue May 3 03:47:42 UTC 2022

ScripTalk Talking Prescription Labels

Several of us have been interested in ScriptTalk, a method of having our prescription labels read out loud. I gathered the info from the website and have included it below, including what it is, how it works,links to demonstrations of how it works and to download the smartphone apps. I hope this answers some of the questions we have been hearing and will allow all of us to be able to know our prescription information! -Erin

If you or a loved one has trouble reading prescription medication labels then ScripTalk is the solution for you. This is a FREE, easy-to-use service available at thousands of pharmacies throughout the United States and Canada that will read all your medication information out loud.
​
About 1.3 million people are injured by medication errors each year.  For those who can’t see to read their medication labels, talking prescription labels can be crucial to ensuring medication safety and adherence.

<https://www.envisionamerica.com/sign-up-accessible-rx-labels>
HOW IT WORKS
A pharmacist programs a small electronic label with all your prescription information, including drug name, dosage, instructions, warnings, pharmacy information, doctor name, prescription number, date and more. The tag relies on RFID and text-to-speech technology.

The pharmacist places the tag on your prescription medication and you can use a free mobile ScripTalk App to hear all the information read out loud. Simply download the App from the App Store<https://apps.apple.com/us/app/scriptalk-mobile/id1317698388> or Google Play<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mistral.scriptalkmobilev2>, click the “scan” button and hold the bottle up to either the front of the screen (iPhones) or back of the phone case near the camera (Androids). Click here<https://www.envisionamerica.com/post/how-to-use-the-scriptalk-mobile-app> to see how the App works.
​
Alternatively, use a ScripTalk Station, which is about the size of an old, portable CD player or phone message machine. Simply place the pill bottle on the machine and press the “Read” button. The two triangle buttons on either side of the oval read button can be used to jump forward or back through the prescription information. There is small wheel on the right side of the machine which can be moved to turn the machine on and turn up the volume. Click here<https://www.envisionamerica.com/post/how-does-scriptalk-work> to learn how the ScripTalk Station works.
For those of us who travel, and prefer the ScriptTalk station to using the smartphone app, there is a special carrying case for the ScriptTalk device. This carrying case is NOT free but can be ordered online. Here’s the info on it:

[ScripTalk-Talking-Prescription-Travel-Bag]
   SPECIAL FEATURES
​
Special front pouch to store the ScripTalk unit
Spacious interior area holds up to 15 medications
Insulated with cold/freeze pack for any medications that must remain cold
Padded to ensure protection during travel
Keep medications and ScripTalk reader together in one convenient place
Adjustable shoulder strap or handle for easy carrying

Getting Started
You can fill out a form on the website to have your pharmacist contact you regarding  ScriptTalk from Envision (the company that makes SxcriptTalk). They will gather your basic info and pass it along to your pharmacy. The form is located here: https://www.envisionamerica.com/sign-up-accessible-rx-labels