[NFB-Idaho] Fall edition of NFBI newsletter

Ramona walhoframona at gmail.com
Sat Oct 21 15:27:35 UTC 2023

Also, I thought I sent info about youtube last time which was not printed, but perhaps you did not receive it. Anyway, there is more to tell now.

Idahos blind youtube channel now has 191 videos, most of them put up in the last six months. If you can, it is desirable to subscribe, and you will receive a new one almost every day. You will see friends doing all sorts of things and learn of activities in other parts of the state. We also include blind friends from outside Idaho. Recently, Kevin Pirnie, our posting person, has started a series of national banquet addresses every Sunday. If you have not been a member for 60 years like me, you will be able to listen to speeches you have never heard before. And I enjoy repeating them. I just choose a time when it fits.
In addition, we want to include as many of our members as are willing to be on youtube. You never know which ones will rocket to ten thousand views. We want to show how blind people do things, but more interesting is what you have to say about it. Everyone has many stories to tell about experiences involving your blindness. Many sighted people are interesting. Most of  our viewers are sighted people we have never known before.

Kevin knows much more than I about what brings attention to certain videos, but I think we all continue to learn. The most challenging thing is to remember to shoot the video while it is occurring. Afterward, it is pretty hard to recreate. Today we have 242 subscribers, but some of our videos have received ten thousand views. The number of views matters, but it is also important to tell stories we want people to know. for example, We know that our resorutions on legislation are not going to receive high numbers of views, but we will still keep posting them for those who are interested. We are building a record of the nfbi, entertaining hundreds or thousands of people, and teaching them about blindness.

Bailey Weir led us to some small Rode lapel microphones which give better sound quality, especially in a crowd These can be used only with i-phones, but I suspect you can find some to use also with androids. Those I have cost about 20 dollars on amazon. There are also inexpensive tripods available which can help the videos to be more steady.

So  my message is first, enjoy and subscribe to our Idahos Blind youtube channel. Second, tell people you know about it. Third, get some pictures taken of yourself and send them to me or Kevin using an app called We Transfer for best quality. If you have questions about what to shoot or how, call or text Kevin or me.

Ramona