[NFB-Idaho] Fwd: Correspondence from Senator Crapo

Colleen McFadden cllnmcfddn at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 19:20:01 UTC 2024

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Senator Mike Crapo <correspondence_reply at crapo.senate.gov>
Date: Thu, Mar 14, 2024 at 12:54 PM
Subject: Correspondence from Senator Crapo
To: <cllnmcfddn at gmail.com>

March 14, 2024

Colleen McFadden
2602 W Hill Rd
Boise, ID 83702-0631

Dear Colleen:

Thank you for contacting me regarding S. 3621, the Medical Device Nonvisual
Accessibility Act. I share your support for ensuring home-based medical
devices meet the needs of individuals with visual impairment and welcome
the opportunity to respond.

I agree that home-based access to innovative, quality care and medical
devices is paramount, especially for individuals with conditions that limit
their vision. Moreover, these technologies must operate in a way that is
accessible to the user, regardless of whichever condition they may have or
the aspect of their overall health it impacts.

S. 3621 would require future medical devices with digital interfaces to be
designed to accommodate the needs of visually impaired users. Specifically,
the bill would direct the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to set
standards on the development of medical devices with screening
technologies, including classification of devices that is dependent on
whether a patient is low-vision or blind. S. 3621 currently awaits further
review by the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee. A
House companion measure, H.R. 1328, has been referred to the House Energy
and Commerce Committee. I will keep your expressed support in mind should
either version be considered by the full Senate.

Additionally, I will continue to work with my colleagues to conduct
thorough oversight of the FDA to ensure its regulatory practices meet the
needs of all patients. In doing so, the input of Idahoans like you is
invaluable.

Again, thank you for contacting me.  I appreciate you taking the time to
share your thoughtful observations with me as it is essential for me to
know of the concerns of all Idahoans.  Please feel free to contact me in
the future on matters of interest to you.  You can also find more
information about what is going on in the U.S. Senate as well as news
releases, photos and other items at my Senate website,
https://www.crapo.senate.gov .

Sincerely,
Mike Crapo
United States Senator

MDC:MM
#ICEBA6928652aff3f441dacc0e02cfc94dde9CDCCRM