[Nfb-krafters-korner] bread dough decorations

Carol Osmar osmarc at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 1 14:18:31 UTC 2008

I received this from another group I am on and wanted to share it
with you.  The basket sounds good to me.  Someone suggested
making a basket with a loaf pan as the shape and putting a loaf
of bread in it.  I enjoy baking bread so I think I might try
that.

Carol

  The recipe uses the following:
  Baker's Clay Ingredients:
  * 3 1/2 cups flour
  * 1 cup salt
  * 1 1/4 -- 1 1/2 cup water
  Mix the claystdough with your hands and shape into loaves,
rolls, or
for a basket, roll out to 1/2" and cut into 1" strips.  Spray an
oven
proof bowl with Pam (or whatever spray) and then weave the strips
>do the basket.  For a decorative edge, Twist two 1/2" strips
together and apply around the rim.  Make sure you do it so the
mold can
be removed! Dab a bit of beaten egg white or even water anyplace
the
dough touchs itself.  This will act as glue.  You can also use
white
school glue for that matter.  Bake at 300 for 1/2 to 1 hour.  If
you
want a mor golden brown color, you can brush with beaten whole
egg
just before the baking is finished.
  When cool, you should varnish using polyurethane.  Shellac is
not
waterproof!
  You can let bread go stale and varnish it, but it is very
fragile.
This dough is much more sturdy.  Wear gloves when mixing as the
salt
will burn your skin, especially if you have any cuts!
  I've made litterally thousands of these.  You can use the dough
to make
anything that can be made from clay, plaques, characters, napkin
rings, baskets, faux food, ornaments, all kinds of things!
  You can add food coloring to the dough to get different colors
or you
can seal your finished piece with matt finish varnish or a
waterstwhite
glue mixture and then paint it with craft paints.
  TIP: If you make ornaments, make the hanging hole before baking
and
make it a bit larger than you think you'll need.
  Good Luck!