[Nfb-krafters-korner] Christmas crafts - Clove covered orange

Annette Carr amcarr1 at verizon.net
Sat Dec 6 00:26:00 UTC 2008

I remember as a kid covering an orange with cloves to make a scented thing
to hang in the closet.  When I brought it home from residential school my
mother would not let me put it in anyone's closet as she said it would rot.
The teacher said that it would not, but I do not have proof one way or the
other.  If anyone has experience with this, I'd love to hear about it.

Push the pointed ends of whole cloves into the skin of an orange.

Continue doing this until the entire orange is covered.

Lay the orange in the center of a piece of cloth.

Brings the corners of the cloth up so that they all meet together and the
orange is entirely covered.

Tie a ribbon or yarn around the gathered ends of the cloth to keep it
gathered tightly around the clove covered orange.  Either leave a long
enough tail on the ribbon or yarn or add another piece so that the completed
item can be hung on the rod of a closet  Tie a loop in the end of this long
ribbon or yarn so that the orange can pass through it to make a sort of slip
knot for hanging.