[Nfb-krafters-korner] some class ideas

tribble lauraeaves at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 13 03:17:18 UTC 2008

When I first joined this list I mentioned some of the crafts I used to do,
some of which would be good for classes.  I was originally going to teach
one on making the woven ribbon birds, but found that the type of ribbon I
used to use is no longer available anywhere.  So that's out, unless the
supply of ribbon changes.

However, I have a few other suggestions for classes based on input from this
list.  A few people said they would like to learn macramé.  Macramé is
actually quite easy and there are lots of little projects that would be
suitable for a class.
Would anyone like to learn some simple but effective patterns for making
belts in macramé?
I can think of 2 different patterns using different types of knots and jute
and beads, and the result is quite pretty.
You also can vary the length by just tying or untying a few knots.
There is also a pretty pattern for a pot hanger.
Using the sknots you learn in these projects you can easily get creative and
make complex wall hangings, which are not only visually attractive but
tactile as well.

So if anyone wants to do macramé sometime next year, please post.

As for the other class I thought to do, it's getting a little late to do a
Christmas star, but I have a project using a spool of wire, 90 straws and
some garland (which you cut in pieces to tie to the star in various places).
The result is a 3 dimensional star with 60 points that is quite large --
meant to be hung in the corner rather than stuck on a tree.
It is really a fun project, and you'll have everyone admiring it.
Oh well, maybe next year.  I know all the components are available (wire,
drinking straws and tinsil garland).  It's just a matter of scheduling. If
you want I could teach the class before next Christmas when there is more
time to organize.

Comments welcome.
Have a nice weekend!
--le