[Nfb-krafters-korner] are we dead?

Susan Roe dogwoodfarm at verizon.net
Fri Dec 26 21:43:40 UTC 2008

Yes, Carol, the Webb of Hope project is definitely something a beginner can
participate in.  They provide items such as scarfs, hats, mittins, throws,
sweaters, shalls etc., to charities here in the United States and overseas.
I have been participating in it for almost 3 years and locally, meetings are
here at my church.  I Usually have a storage box where I put completed items
in and when it is full, then I take it to a meeting, give them my items and
then they fill the box up with skeins and balls of all sorts of yarn.  They
get donated yarns from shops and individuals which they provide to
volunteers to knit or crochet items for them.  I have also collected items
from other people who wanted to participate, but who either don't live in my
area or who can't make it to any of their meetings.  You don't have to use
their yarn, you can collect it yourself from friends, yard sales or purchase
it as well.

Any of those beginner projects fit right in.  The items can be for infants,
children, young adults and adults.  I mainly stick to youth/adults because
everyone likes to make baby/children items and the others get left out.  I
also find myself being given mainly colors that do well for men, because
they are also left out because everyone likes to use light and bright
colors.  I was given a large quantity of angora/wool mix in a medium/dark
brown color and made nothing but scarfs, hats and ear warmers that were sent
to Afganistan.  I enjoy it and I like to see the items going to someone who
will need them.  Also, there are several more experienced knitters than I
am, meaning they delve into the fancy elaberat knittting patterns and if I
have problems with a stitch pattern, I have gone to them for help.  I am
hoping one of them will help me with trying my needles on some simple
sock/footie patterns.

Susan Roe
dogwoodfarm at verizon.net