[Nfb-krafters-korner] Braille Knitting Patterns ...

etflemin at ix.netcom.com etflemin at ix.netcom.com
Sun Oct 26 17:16:39 UTC 2008

Laura:

What exactly do you mean by "having success" with Braille knitting patterns?
I have found NLS in recent years has come out with some excellent knitting
books that are available in Web Braille -- my all-time favorite format!  And
they have been very receptive to suggestions I've sent them for knitting
books to put into web Braille or Audio format.  However, they, like all
other transcribing agencies I've contacted will not put into an accessible
format patterns that are heavily charted.

The internet also has literally thousands of free patterns (and I've gotten
& worked some good ones) that I've copied into an MS Word Document and
formatted and then brought into Duxburry for printing on my Braille
embosser.

And if you're willing to spend the bucks, the Royal National Institute for
the Blind in England, has a number of really excellent Braille knitting
books that have more elaborate designs and they seemed not to have issues
with transcribing the charts.  Right now, with the exchange rate being bad,
I don't think is a goodtime to buy them.

Eileen