[Nfb-krafters-korner] Knitting & Stitch Markers ...

Eileen Scrivani etscrivani at verizon.net
Mon Feb 23 17:11:31 UTC 2009

Hi Knitters:

When using stitch markers to designate a point in your knitting, just remember that all stitch markers are not created equally.  For instance, I used to use the hard plastic split markers and hated them because they would frequently fall off my needle or work because of the split in it.  I've also purchased fancy, expensive markers that had little sterling silver charms hanging off of them.  Because they were pricey did not make them good.  They were defective because they had rough, unfinished edges both on the charms and on the jump rings that held the charm and would snag my yarn.

To date, the best markers that I have found, and are in no particular order are:

1.  Simple rubber "O" rings that are comfortable in the hand and can be purchased either in a knitting shop or your local hardware store in the plumbing section in any size you like.

2.  Clover brand, locking stitch markers that serve multiple purposes for marking on your needle or placing directly on the fabric.

3.  markers made by:  http://www.picturetrail.com/beadmarkers

because they are different by touch, pretty and nicely made and will not snag your good yarns while knitting it!

I used to use a twist tie from the plastic baggies box.  I'd wrap the tie around a fingertip and twist the two ends together to start it.  Then further adjust it once it went on my needle.  Here to, if you're not careful the ends can snag yarn so you need to be careful.  They are however, cheap to make yourself, and are readily available in a pinch.

Eileen