[Nfb-krafters-korner] Challenging Craft

Valerie rosetta at adam.com.au
Fri Jan 30 22:35:44 UTC 2009

Last year a few of us were encouraged  to do a project in craft and enter  a
competition and I chose to knit a scarf, not having knitted in ages.   I
thought I'd make one in cream with lots of variation on the knit and purl
stitch. I wanted it to be an elegant evening scarf, I chose pure new wool
yarn in cream and a cream angora yarn to trim.   However, I can't explain
what a chore it was, but had to finish it as entries had been accepted. I
think I unraveled the scarf at least six times  and so wished I had never
agreed to enter the competition. If I dropped a stitch, I  had to wait till
someone could help and that made the whole project so long and in the end I
was rushing to finish it off.

Some months later  I received a phone call to say my scarf had won first
prize at the Show,. I thought they were joking ,but they weren't, all my
less than positive feelings about the scarf vanished and it is now tucked
away in its own special box for a little while before I give it away as a
gift to my daughter. You never know what can be accomplished even though you
might have dislike for a project.  I haven't knitted any scarves since
though, but might give one a try next winter. Valerie