[Nfb-krafters-korner] Quilting another comment - Paper Shapes

Nancy Yeager nancyyeager542 at comcast.net
Mon Mar 9 18:13:54 UTC 2009

My motto for cutting out shapes as a blind person is, "if I can trace it, I
can cut it out."  One of the easiest ways I have found to make almost any
shape is to use pipe cleaners.  Sometimes you have to twist several together
to make a long enough strand.  Then, shape it into anything.  Once you shape
it, you have a stencil.  Get a few foam sheets and place your stencil on one
of the sheets.  You may want to put a pad or something under the sheet so
you don't mar your table.  Then, trace around your pipe cleaner stencil with
a pencil.  You will end up with lines in your foam sheet that you can feel
and follow with your scissors.

If you don't want to use foam, cover a piece of cardboard with window
screen, taping around the edges.  Then,  Put a piece of paper on top of the
screen, trace your stencil on it and the screen underneath will make lines
on your paper that you can use as a guide.

I've also had luck with commercial stencils but many of them are extremely
detailed and the patterns on them are difficult to follow.  I tend to look
for simpler ones, such as outlines of flowers.

I know this is wordy, but hope it helps.

Nancy Yeager