[Nfb-krafters-korner] OT computer to leave on or off?

joseli Walter joseli at thezoolady.net
Sat Mar 14 11:22:31 UTC 2009

Some say it's best to just leave the computer on all day, but others say
it's ok to turn it on and off.
I think those that say to turn it off are thinking about the older windows
98 computers that had a memory leak, so if you did leave them on all day,
they would slow down. Xp doesn't have a memory leak problem though, so
turning the computer off is not necessary, as it will not slow down over the
course of a day.
Also, leaving a computer on reduces the risk of start up problems, which I
have been told can happen with computers that are constantly turned on and
off.
Also, it's just plain convenient to leave the computer running, you don't
have to wait for it to boot up when you want to use it.
If you want to save power but not have to turn off the computer, you can put
it in stand by mode, which turns off the hard drives, monitor, etc, but runs
just enough power to quickly bring the computer back online when you ask it
too.
it is not a complete system shut down, thus there is no need for the
computer to boot up again.
if you have any questions about any of this, you can email me offlist or
what ever and I'll be happy to answer them.