[Nfb-krafters-korner] Magic Loop, needles & Cables...

Powers, Terry (NIH/OD/DEAS) [E] powerst at dcpcepn.nci.nih.gov
Tue Mar 24 21:01:25 UTC 2009

What is Majic Loop?

Terry

-----Original Message-----
From: Eileen Scrivani [mailto:etscrivani at verizon.net]
Sent: Tuesday, March 24, 2009 11:14 AM
To: nfb-krafters-korner
Subject: [Nfb-krafters-korner] Magic Loop, needles & Cables...

Re working magic loop method of knitting in the round & circ ndls:

I think that its suggested to use a length of 40 inches for working
magic loop.  However, if I'm working something really small like a
preemie baby hat, I'm pretty sure I've used a 32 or 36 circ when I
haven't had a 40 length available.  The 40 inch length is the most
comfortable to work with .  The KnitPick cords come in lengths of 24",
32", 40", 47", & 60".

As for the cords, yes either the KnitPicks  Options or Harmony Wood sets
with their cords are very good for working Magic Loop because they are
thin and very flexible.  For this reason, people also like the Addi
circular ndls because of the cords on those needles.  I am familiar with
the Boyed needle set and can see where they might present a problem for
working magic loop.  If I recall, the Boyd needles have a bit of a curve
in the ndl tips and the cords are not so very flexible.  I have done
magic loop with a long Denise cord so it can be done with that set.  The
best for magic loop are the KnitPicks or Addis, but I would not buy the
set just for that reason if I already had the Denise and was happy with
it.

Eileen