[Nfb-krafters-korner] Kindle & Knitting Books - Electronic Craft Books and Magazines

Nancy Yeager nancyyeager542 at comcast.net
Mon Mar 30 21:59:30 UTC 2009

Dear Fellow Crafters (and anyone else who cares),

I'm thrilled someone has brought this up as it is a "hot button issue" for
me.  I would like to see us work with other NFB groups/divisions, as the
lack of access to electronic books and magazines by blind folks using screen
readers is a big deal.

There are bunches of eBooks and emagazines on all types of crafts -
knitting, crocheting, sewing, beading, soap and cosmetic-making, just to
name a few categories.  The most common download format is PDF.  Until a
couple of years ago, we could often purchase one of these books and download
it and read it, if we had acrobat reader 6.  Then, to improve the ability of
publishers to prevent copyright violations, either publishers or eBook
venders, I don't know which, started using adobe Digital Edition for PDF
books.  As far as I know, Digital Edition is not accessible to blind persons
using screen readers.  There are a few books in TXT, html, word and other
formats but I haven't found craft books in those formats.  Besides Amazon,
I've searched (and bought inaccessible books from ebookmall and ebooks.com.

There are also a number of online crafting-related magazines.  I was really
excited the first time I found one related to beading.  I found the table of
contents and clicked on the article I wanted to read.  Then, I was able to
click on each page of the article.  The only problem was that I could not
access any of the text on any of the pages.

I have downloaded individual pdf patterns and used them but there are a lot
of resources out there that are available to the general public
electronically and it would certainly be terrific if we as blind crafters
could also use them.

I'll get down off my soap box now, and would love to hear from anyone who
might have tips or ideas on how we can access this ever-growing body of
material.

Nancy Yeager