[Nfb-krafters-korner] Prodigy Lance & Lancett Question.

tribble lauraeaves at yahoo.com
Wed May 13 22:11:12 UTC 2009

I'm not diabetic, but have often wondered how repeatedly lancing a fingertip
impacts braille reading sensitivity.  I have the hardest time building my
speed in braille and tend to watch out not to injure my fingers in case I
need to depend on braille at some point.
My vision is bad enough that I should be using braille more now, but again,
it is so painfully slow.  I know the symbols well as I learned them early
but never practiced reading as most my life I had enough vision to get by
reading print.
I was temporarily in need of testing blood sugar after a medical emergency a
few years ago and they thought I might turn diabetic, but after I got out of
the hospital things stabilized. But when I was testing I went out of my way
to poke noncritical fingers like a thumb or ring finger etc. Middle and
index fingers on both hands were off limits. Once when I was in the hospital
a volunteer came in and asked if I wanted my fingernails cut.  I agreed
hesitantly as I hate when other people cut my nails. But she needed
something useful to do so I agreed. No sooner did she get to my right index
finger, she misplaced the scissor and whacked off the tip of my finger.
I was horrified, not from the pain, but wondering if that was going to
further slow my braille down.  But in time, amazingly, the missing skin
actually grew back.
The abilities of the human body never cease to amaze me.
Happy crafting.
--le