[Nfb-krafters-korner] different types of cross stitch stuff

Blindhands at aol.com Blindhands at aol.com
Sat May 16 15:54:04 UTC 2009

Sidney,

I use to use what they called adeda cloth going back a while.  I was  not
blind then either, but this was made from a woven thread cloth and you did
it like cross stitch, but you put the needle in the kinda indented spots
running  the color thread or yarns on top of the raised threads.  I want to say
you  could feel them as you did count them.  Linen is a flat texture and may
not  have the difinition of feeling threads.

Just something to look into.  I also know that they have this stuff  that
is tear away not sure if they call it counted cross stitch or not and if it
would be any good for someone that did not have sight.  Let me tell you a
little more on how this one works as I had done this with sight, too.  They
print in color the design on this woven type of kinda canvus.  It is
stiffer then a cloth.  You then pin this on a garment or collar, etc, You  then do
your stitches and when you are finished you wet down the area you did  and
the woven canvas softens up so you can pull it away.  Once you wash  your
garment it just has your stitches left.  I use to like to do this on a  pocket
of a shirt just to keep myself busy.

So I am not sure if this would be something that could be adapted for us to
 use, but you might have to search for some verbal counted cross stitch
directions.

Joyce
**************Recession-proof vacation ideas.  Find free things to do in
the U.S.