[Nfb-krafters-korner] candle making

jean parker radioforever at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 18:24:04 UTC 2009

Dear Joyce:

Thanks for your explanations.  This was very helpful.

I would like to know about the harder wax since I would like to make molded
candles.  I am also interested in free form candles if you have any advice
about that.

I visited a very interesting fellow last week.  He lost his sight about six
years ago I think and like many, attended a candle making course with the
National Association of the Blind.  But instead of being satisfied with the
usual straight candles that we all have for when the lights go out, he began
making sculpted candles and quite elaborate figures.  Now he has candles in
all the holiday resorts, up market restaurants and department stores.  He
has made quite a name for himself and won all sorts of awards as well.

He is very successful and he said he will teach me how to make those
candles.  Of course I only want to do it as a hobby so I don't know how
elaborate they will be.  So I wanted to get an idea of how you managed your
candles beforehand so when you mentioned that you made them I just thought
I'd ask.

Another interesting thing is that it's very inexpensive to have various
molds made here by a metal fabricator.

Thanks again,

Jean