[Nfb-krafters-korner] Le's slipper pattern

Annette Carr amcarr1 at verizon.net
Mon Oct 12 12:43:34 UTC 2009

From: "tribble" <lauraeaves at yahoo.com>
To: <nfb-krafters-korner at nfbnet.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 11:50 PM
Subject: [Nfb-krafters-korner] for the knitters on the list

Hi all --
I just wanted to pass along a very simple but cumfy pattern for knitted
bedroom slippers.  It is simple enough to put in an email message.  It has
been a favorite in my family -- over the years I have made them as Christmas
gifts, especially for Mom who wears them out in just a couple of months (not
because they are fragile, but because she walks all over in them).
In fact, they are very thick and warm.

You can adjust the pattern for any size foot, and the seams can be sewn or
crocheted as desired, and of course the trimmings can be laces, pompoms or
bows -- or nothing...  Be creative.

Supplies:
3 skeins of yarn, preferably in 3 different colors -- I generally like a
modal look with 3 related colors, such as dark coral, orange and peach, or 3
different shades of blue, but do as you like.
The needles should be fairly large gauge. The smaller the needles the
tighter the knit, and the smaller the slipper will be.

General overview:
These slippers are knitted with 3 strands of yarn, one from each skein.
Just treat the 3 strands as if they were one strand of very course and plump
yarn.  The result is a marbly, blotchy, speckly look that is very pretty.

Instructions:
1.  Cast on 22 stitches (remember, 3 strands of yarn per stitch).
2.  knit approximately 24 rows -- all knit, no pearl.  You should stop when
the width of the swatch is about the width of your ankle from back to front.
(Note that this swatch will become the back and heel of the slipper.)
3.  At this point you should start knitting one row and pearling the next,
so you have a flat texture.  Keep knitting until the width from the heel of
the slipper to the needle is the same as the distance from the heel to the
base of the big toe.  Here you need to start decreasing.
4.  Decreasing:
On the next pearl row, repeat the following until you get to the end of the
row: pearl 2 stitches together, pearl one, pearl one.  At the end, if you
counted right, you should end up pearling 2 stitches together and there
should be 16 stitches on the needle.
Knit the next row with no decreasing.  On the next pearl row, pearl 2
stitches together all across the row.  You should end up with 8 stitches.
Knit a row and cast off any way you like.
5: By now you should notice how the heel of the slipper is coarse and the
flat stitch forms the front end of the slipper.  Sew the seams any way you
prefer.  Some guidelines:
The cast-on row forms the back of the slipper. Fold it in half and sew or
crochet together so the seam blends in with the knitting, if you can.  The
first time I made the slippers I had to do some figuring to get this seam
right.
When you sew the toe and top seams be sure the seam is on the inside -- the
outside is the flat part of the knitting.

As I said, these slippers are thick and comfortable.  This is my
contribution to the list for anyone who likes to knit.
Happy crafting!
--le