[Nfb-krafters-korner] Sewing Machine Guard

Annette Carr amcarr1 at verizon.net
Tue Sep 22 00:09:18 UTC 2009

I have no idea what a finger guard is for a sewing machine.  When I was
taught to sew on a machine, I was taught to keep my fingers on the outer
edge of the presser foot.

I do remember seam guides, which appear to be difficult to find.  So now I
use a made up technique of cutting a small piece of cardboard to the width
from the stitches to the edge of the fabric.  Then I put the needle down and
lay the cardboard up against the side of the needle to mark where the edge
of the fabric will lay on the machine.  I hold the cardboard in place with a
small piece of tape while I tape down a paperclip opened into an  "L" shape.
This paperclip is positioned up against the cardboard.  Once the paperclip
is securely in place I remove the cardboard.

Annette