[Nfb-krafters-korner] Rug Hooking Book ...

Annette Carr amcarr1 at verizon.net
Tue Sep 29 00:35:38 UTC 2009

Many years ago I used to do rug hooking.  I would try to find kits that did
not have a lot of little sections of color.  I would start with one color
and have someone go through and mark the start of the color I was working
with by putting in one strand of that color at the start of that color on
that row or in that section, and mark the end of the run with 2 hooked
strands.  So if a row was made up of 5 strands of one color, then 5 strands
of color 2, 5 strands of color 3, and this pattern repeated 3 times on that
row, then it would be set up as follows if I was working with color 2.

5 empty spaces, 1 strand of color 2, 2 empty spaces of color 2, 2 strands of
color 2, 10 empty spaces, 1 strand of color 2, 2 empty spaces of color 2, 2
strands of color 2, 10 empty spaces, 1 strand of color 2, 2 empty spaces of
color 2, 2 strands of color 2, 5 empty spaces.

I would then fill in color 2 in the empty spaces.

I hope this makes sense.  I can't say that this was the best way to
accomplish this, and it required that you have someone around who was
willing to work with you to set up the beginnings and ends of the color
runs.

I've used a technique for making my own designs by marking off sections with
masking tape, or weaving thin yarn through the canvas to outline the design
I wanted to make.

Annette