[Nfb-krafters-korner] New Class posted: Knifty Knitter Flower

AUDREY WELLNER rencraft at snet.net
Sun Apr 25 22:43:57 UTC 2010

Cindy,
   By "needle felting" I mean, using wool roving in a Knifty Knitter flower mold and needle punching it with an awl, or a special barbed needle to mat the fibers together to form leaves, petals, etc. This is what the craft is called. I don't mean using soap and hot water with agitation like you do for knitted hats and garments to shrink them to a smaller size. If it is a "needle felting" method participants should be extremely careful so as not to stab their fingers, arms, legs, etc with the barbed needles that are necessary to do this project.  That's why when someone wanted to learn this technique I demonstrated at the convention I carefully guided and watched their hands to prevent injury. The needles for needle felting have a distinctive barb on the end to help the wool roving mesh together and are much sharper. They cause far more pain and injury than a regular needle, but without this special needle the fibers are not incorporated. Who
 is the instructor, do you know?
   Audrey Wellner