[Nfb-krafters-korner] Terminology lesson #1

AUDREY WELLNER rencraft at snet.net
Thu Apr 29 01:44:38 UTC 2010

Just a little thought ----
   Has anyone ever heard of laces being used for tying your shoes? Some shoes come with round gimp shoe laces, instead of flat cotton braided shoes laces.  Lacing (verb) is also the act of binding up bundles of anything--paper, stalks of wheat in a field or lacing bootstraps or saddles or our old-fashioned high-top wooden wheel roller skates.  And to confuse matters even more "gimp" is also a term in the dressmaking/fashion field used to describe a specific type of heavily braided trim to decorate garments.
   Take time to learn from others knowledge and inquiry politely. There's a wealth of knowledge to learn from everyone in this world and as you can see from this small sample. Lace (noun) isn't just lace, there are several meanings for one thing, verb, noun or whatever.  English is a complicated language that often has several different meanings for one thing, let alone ethic terminologies used in certain regional areas of this country. How about soda and subs!  We could really go around regionally on those two.
   Audrey Wellner, Secretary
   NFB Krafters Korner