[Nfb-krafters-korner] Sewel boards

Amelia Dickerson ameliadickerson at gmail.com
Sun Aug 1 20:52:35 UTC 2010

Basically, the drawing surface of the sewel board is a rubbery
material that bends in response to the typical weight of someone
drawing or writing. The paper on top then becomes slightly indented,
so perhaps calling them raised lines wasn't exactly correct term. I
guess maybe if I call them tactile lines that would be more accurate.
But, there is plenty of differentiation to follow what is happening on
the top surface. The rubber also has enough integrity that the
indented lines do not stick on it.

The other day I was trying to imagine the back fin of a shark and just
couldn't get the details right. A friend traced the picture of a shark
out of a book and then traced over it again on the sewel board. The
sharks she drew were maybe the length of my pointer finger, but I
could detect all of the detail she included. This meant I could be
reminded of some fins I had forgotten about, along with things as
small as the eyes and the gills. I also use it to practise my own
drawing.

There is a plasticene paper the official ones are sold with, and I
tried the "official" paper. It did provide greater contrast between
the very smooth plastic surface and the lines as compared to that of
the surface of paper and the lines, but I thought what I got from
regular paper was plenty. An added advantage is that I can do all of
my own drawing on paper out of the recycle bin, adding to the green
factor. I was surprised when I saw how much of an impact it made to
draw on one of these boards, so while the lines aren't extreme, I feel
comfortable following what is going on... of course within reason. I
wouldn't try to decipher normal sized hand writing or anything like
that.

Amelia Dickerson

What counts can't always be counted, and what can be counted doesn't
always count.
Albert Einstein