[Nfb-krafters-korner] Please

Blindhands at aol.com Blindhands at aol.com
Mon Aug 2 11:48:10 UTC 2010

Our friend Susan has been writing for the Matilda Ziegler Magazine and I
wanted to share with you an article she recently wrote.  It appeared in the
magazine just a couple of weeks ago.  Thank you Susan.

Hands On Living: Blind Crafting for Everyone
By Susan Roe
I have been an avid crafter both before and after I lost my sight over
thirty-two years ago.  There is  nothing I love more than working on a project
and actually seeing it through to  completion.  Whether I sell an item,
give it to someone or donate it to a charity, I always have the satisfaction
knowing that there will be someone somewhere who will appreciate owning what
I  do best.
There have been quite a few people who have either encouraged my crafting
or have taught me different skills.  My mother, Katherine, first taught me
to crochet when I was eight years  old.  She showed me how to crochet  granny
squares in matching or contrasting colors.  We would then sew them together
to make  warm afghans for our beds.  She  didn’t stop with crocheting and
soon taught my sister and I to quilt by hand, as  well as how to use a sewing
machine.  When we were small children, she made handmade Hobby Holly dolls
and sold  them to make extra money for our Christmas.  Later on, she tried
her hand at the  cutest little clothes for Cabbage Patch dolls and they were
even more  popular.
Not too long before I lost my sight, I had just discovered a talent for
drawing.  My sister Pattie  encouraged me to start taking art classes in
school like she did.  She was a wonderful artist herself,  starting with drawing
and painting.  When Pattie began having vision problems of her own, she
switched to  woodcarving.  No surprise to us, she  excelled in that craft as
well.  Pattie had just started showing me some basics of oil painting when I
lost my sight at age fifteen.
I have never allowed my blindness to be a hindrance in my day to day
living and that included my current crafts and learning new ones along the  way.
Pauline, a family friend, took  the time to teach me how to knit and it has
been my favorite ever since.  She also introduced my family to liquid
embroidery, making Christmas ornaments with beads and sequins and latch hooking
rugs.  From school I learned to work  with clay, coil and reed basket
weaving and tapestry weaving using colored  burlap.  I even managed to take a
class on using the potter’s wheel while attending my local community  college.
 Luckily, I stopped myself  from adding a potter’s wheel to my small one
bedroom apartment before I started  rearranging the furniture.
Believe it or not, my crafting curiosity still was not satisfied.  Pattie
and I took ceramic classes,  enjoyed working with beads, making hats and
scarves on circular and rectangular  lap looms, and successfully figured out how
to crohook.  When I attended our local Rehabilitation  Center for the Blind
one summer, they showed me how to set up my sewing machine  to make it
easier to use.  I have  heard that curiosity killed the cat, however, it only
expanded my thirst for  crafting to collecting the tools of the trade along
with many books and  magazines covering even more crafts.  I could definitely
open my own crafting store.
My mother-in-law, Anna Roe, was someone else who loved crafting.  She loved
knitting, crocheting and  plastic canvas work.  To her credit,  she also
passed on crafting to her children as well.  Matt likes to draw and paint,
wood  working and Native American leather working.  I suppose Anna also passed
on to Matt  some of her patience, because he does tolerate my boxes of yarn
and shelves of  crafting books.  In fact, he doesn’t  even get ancy while we
are in a craft store.  Matt is really good at ferreting out all  kinds of
hidden crafting treasures.
On a sad note, when Anna passed away, Matt and his family asked if there
was anything of her’s that I would like to have in remembrance.  I didn’t
hesitate and asked for anything  dealing with her knitting and crocheting.
Well, my ever-growing craft stuff was increased by four large  boxes.
With all of my accumulated crafting energy and supplies, I needed an
outlet for my items because I just couldn’t keep it all.  I sell a few items here
and there as  well as making items for friends and family.  My biggest joy
is knitting and  crocheting for the Webb of Hope, a charity group that is
run through the Red  Cross.  A local group of women get  together here at
Black Creek Baptist Church and meet once a week.  They share patterns, discuss
items being  made and who the organization will be sending them to, both in
the United States  and several countries over seas.  The women also provide
lessons for those who want to learn and  participate with them as well as
providing yarn so it doesn’t have to cost you  anything.
Over the years, I have done searches on the Internet and have found
several on-line crafting groups, and several of them have been for blind
crafters.  I had to narrow my  participation down to only one blind crafting group
or I would never tare myself  away from the computer.  This group  works
together from the Krafters Korner.  The group is filled with some of the most
talented crafters I have ever  known.  Everyone is either blind,  low-vision,
or works with the blind.  The Krafters Korner also provides lessons to its
members via conference  calls and everyone works at the project together.
All classes are recorded for the  students that attend each class and are
provided as downloadable MP3 files for  easy reference at a later date.  Some of
the classes have been beginning and advanced knitting, beginning  and
advanced bead working, soap making, origami, plastic canvas work, small loom
weaving and even tips for finding the best tool for the job, to only name a
few.  They are even working on  knitted and crocheted helmet liners for our
soldiers over seas as a community  charity project.
I have even taught two classes myself, coil basket weaving and paper
basket weaving which seemed to be a success with those who attended.  I have only
taken one class, which was a  beading class for making your own Rosary.
The teacher even gave a brief history on the different styles of Rosaries
through the years.  All classes are  open to members once you have paid your
$10.00 membership dues.  Krafters Korner also has a weekly Monday  Night Chat
which runs from 8:00 Eastern Time to about 9:30 via the conference  line.
This gives everyone an  opportunity to talk to someone about their crafts and
exchange information as  well.  Members also have the  opportunity to get
help with problems they may be experiencing with a project in  order to work
through it instead of getting frustrated enough to set it aside,  never to
be picked up again.
I have found that many members take their projects quite seriously and
even attend numerous crafting shows as venders or sell their wares at Farmers
Markets.  There are those who have  been blind and crafting for several
years, or they find themselves wanting to  learn to craft.  Also, there are
those who have been sighted crafters for years and recently lost their sight
and  now want to find ways to continue crafting.  It is really nice when a
member seeks  encouragement with continuing a craft after losing their sight
and seeing the  eager responses from other members sharing and explaining how
they have managed  to continue that very craft.  All of  this and more can
be found at the Krafters Korner.  They have even had guest speakers on  blind
wood working so they can explain how they manage their wood working craft
with no sight.
Joyce Kane is the group moderator and President of the National  Federation
of
the Blind Krafters Division.  She has been an avid blind crafter for many
years and is always available  to assist members as well as eager to learn
new crafts and techniques from  others in the group.  You can call  Joyce for
more information at (203) 378-8928 or via e-mail at _Blindhands at AOL.com_
(mailto:Blindhands at AOL.com) .  Please feel free to visit Krafters  Korner at
www.KraftersKorner.org.  Krafters Korner has also recently gone International,
bringing blind  students from around the globe into their classrooms with
the use of SKYPE.  Come and join us and see what you can  learn!

Joyce  Kane
www.KraftersKorner.org  (http://www.krafterskorner.org/)