[Nfb-krafters-korner] knitting

Eileen Scrivani etscrivani at verizon.net
Tue Aug 3 20:16:26 UTC 2010

Terry:

Thank you for your nice comments.  I agree Davey's talk last night was very
good and if his book or any other book helps you to understand and get the
knitting down then its all good.  He and I differ on a few points, but I
won't go into our differing opinions on knitting.  I am sure he's a very
good knitter and that his book explains the how-too's very well.

Now, Terry, let me reassure you that this is not only you!!! You are not the
only person that is having some trouble with the cast on and knitting.
Again, we're so many miles apart and no one at your side to say yes that's
right or no you need to change the way you're doing something.  I am so
happy you knit 4 rows, but given the method of cast on you are using your
first several rows will not look good.  The E-wrap method of casting on is
an **extremely** loose method of casting on and before that edge starts to
even out and look reasonable I think you will need to knit at least ten
rows.  When I first learned knitting 20 years ago, I too had trouble holding
onto 2 needles and the yarn and trying to wrap yarn around or over needles.
Could not do the knit on method of casting on so I too started with the
E-Wrap method because it was easy, but it always remained sloppy -- it is
the nature of the E-wrap cast on method.  For beginning its fine to use it,
but over time I suggest you later try learning a better looking way to cast
on.

Knit a few more rows and see if things even out for you as you get away from
the edge.  If you need help, I will have time tonight after 7:30 or else on
Thursday afternoon, after 2:30.  Don't give up and don't come down on
yourself.

Don't give up, you can do it.

Eileen