[Nfb-krafters-korner] Looking around

Terrence van Ettinger terrencevane at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 18:51:20 UTC 2010

That happens all too often.  Mostly, where I work, we get adults
coming through.  But occasionally, we get some youth that pop in.  I
was lucky enough to be able to talk with the guy's mom and explain how
blind kids benefit from the same experiences as sighted kids, how yes,
they may fall and get a few bruises here and there, and/or even break
a bone.  But these are things that happen just as easily to sighted
kids playing around too.  Plus we had a recent high-school graduate
who was here at the time as well, and he talked with the family too,
talking about his own experiences doing all kinds of sports and rec
activities.  I think sometimes parents feel that if something happens
to their blind kiddo, they're going to take flack for it.."How could
you let this happen to this vulnerable child?"  It's up to us, I feel,
as blind adults to help parents understand that blind kids don't need
to be extra-protected, any more than sighted kids do.  Sure we may not
totally change their minds in a heartbeat, but just planting the seed
is important.

Terrence

--
Twitter: www.twitter.com/terrencevane