[Nfb-krafters-korner] Summer Fun wit KIds

Gary Brewer gary.brewer at comcast.net
Tue Aug 31 15:58:27 UTC 2010

The first of September? Can it really be so late in the year?

Well, I guess it is and time to get things together for the last
beach trip.  Not going ot the beach?  Well, my Bubble gum trip can
take you there.

Also you can find my version of teaching or playing with children with braille.

Quick beach toys

Making a scoopp

This works well with a milk jug but be creative. Use what you have.

Lay a milk jug on its side so the handle is sticking up.  Now cut a
section below the handle to ope your scoop to use.  You can cut the
scoop so by sliding it in the sand you will collect your treasure, or
with a closed section that will hold the sand for easier
carrying.  The amount you cut off the jug depends on what you want
your scoop to do for you.

Making a funnel.

My Grandson was here at the beginning of the summer. He needed a ww
way to pour gas into a  yard tool.  I went to the pop bottle bin and
grabbed a small bottle.  We cut the bottom off and took the cap
off.  It worked perfectly and I have a Teenageer who thinks I am smart. lol

The right plastic jug can make anything. I remember making airplanes
from liquid laundry soap bottles with handles.

We cut a slot through the center of the jug.  We made the wings from
cardboard and colored them. We slid them throught the two slits and
young children were ready to fly their planes by running around the room.

Older childreen continued to decorate their planes even adding
perpellers to the bottom of the jug which became the back.

Ping Pong Braille

materials

the bottom half of egg cartons cut in half to make a braille cell

Ping Pong balls

You probably have figured this project out already.  I made a poster
of the alphebet in print and in braille. I used dot stickers to make
the braille.  Children can write words and have me and thier friends decode.

Bubble Gun Trip

I hope that this description will give you an idea of this fun way to
entertain and relax children. I have found tthis trip to get
attention of entire waiting rooms. I will also say that when my kids
were teens this activity done in a waiting roomm embarrassed them to tears. lol

W What you need

A huge imagination

Reach into your poccket. Pull out the bubble gum you find
there.  Unwrap it and put the paper in your pocket. Surely we don't
want to litter.

Now pop the gum into your mouth. What flavor do you have?  Chew it
until it is nice and soft.  Can you blow a bubble?  Oh, my popped. it
is on my face.  Peel itoff and chew it again.  Now lets blow a huge
bubble.  One so big we can all get inside.

Let's see if it will float into the air. Oh, look, I see the tops of
the trees.  And look we can look down into the chimney of our house.

Now pick a place to ride. How about Grandma's house?

As you float along talk about what you see. How i it feels and
anything that will make the trip interesting.

JJoin us on September 20 on the chat with ideas for a great bubble
gum trip and to take off to places unknown.

Here is a little ttip that will date me again.

Roll on deoderant bottles can be taken apart and filled with paints
for a fun way to paint. This is especially great for beginner
painters.  Just pop the ball of the top and fill and replace the ball.

Henrietta