[Nfb-krafters-korner] angel ornaments with beaded safety pins

qubit lauraeaves at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 5 21:00:37 UTC 2010

Hi all --
I made one of these yesterday at a "craftacular" held at our church.
I signed up to do an angel tree topper.  It was quite adorable when
finished.  I had a little trouble with the instructor being uncomfortable
about trying to teach a blind person. (she had trouble addressing me
directly, as some people do, and started by telling my mother who was also
there that if I couldn't do it she wouldn't charge for the kit.  But I kept
insisting on doing it, and not letting her run to my mother every time she
couldn't think of how to explain something; and Mom of course, always
redirected her back to me...you know the scenario.)
Finally I got it done.
I can't remember where she said she ordered the kits.  There were 2 angels:
a simple one that is frankly adorable with a wide skirt, and also a bigger,
flashier, more intricate angel which is quite pretty.
If anyone wants I'll get the name of the website where to order.
Now frankly, it is much easier to follow a class from the krafterskorner
than a regular class, but I think it is good to take chances now and then,
not just for personal experience, but to give others the experience of
working with you.
Even though the class was a bit difficult with her grabbing the angel from
me every time she needed to explain anything, I thanked her at the end, and
I think that made her feel good.

I have a question for you regular beaders:  What gauge wire do you buy for a
beading project like a safety pin figure?  I have felt wires of varying
thicknesses and flexibility, but I want one that will go through 4-6mm beads
up to much larger beads without breaking but still flexible enough to be
twisted and bent and hold its new shape.
I asked the instructor yesterday, but her wire came precut and she had no
idea what to buy.
I think I like this kraft.

Happy krafting.
--le